Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weathering. Share your methods and experiences.

Default Weathering. Share your methods and experiences.

Greetings
    I started this thread for those interested in weathering their sabers. Please feel free to include your favorite weathering methods and any funny stories/experiences you've had while trying to weather something.

So what do you use? Aluminum black? Paint? Ammonia? Horse manure?

I'll chime in with a few of my experiences too. I just need to collect some pics and upload them first.

Corbin

Does anybody know what the original Heiland flash cells were made from?
    I picked up a scratched-up one on E-bay while back & want to weather it down in patches, but i'm not too sure what to use.
    It may be plated copper, though not 100% sure.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

My heiland is just a chromed tube... just like a sink tube.

The simplest weathering I ever saw was for those ultra accurate parts on the RPF. He soaked it in tea then buried it in his yard for a day or so.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

The story I was kinda going with this hilt was that a Jedi salvaged it from the battlefield. It was caught in the explosion that took out his former master & her troops. I don't want it all blackened or melted, just scuffed & scratched with acupla small dents in it & a bit of residue in some of the grooves.

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:

A modelling technique that works well for residue or "carbon scoring" is to take flat black model paint and mix one part f it with at least 4 parts paint thinner (more or less for effect). You can add a little flat rust paint too. I plan to do a weathered saber soon.
    Then just apply it and let is settle inthe cracks and grooves. Then wipe it off as desired.

MC

I tried that with my old warhammer figures, but went a bit too runny.
    I suppose for the scale of them it was wrong, but i'm sure on a hilt it'd look groovy!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

some guy at fx sabers (forget who) took a lighter to his maul FX endcaps to make them look scorched by obi's blade. then he just put on clear coat and it looks pretty cool
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

it was darth poo head on here. but he hasnt come on in a while
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Default weathering

i use blueing medium, apply it where you want it with a q-tip, let it sit for a minute, then wipe. it will give a blackened look if left alone or a scorched appearance if you buff it a bit with a cloth. works great!

I heard gublue doesn't work on aluminum... are you saying it gives a good aging effect? Does it look "stained"?

MC