Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1134

Thread: What would you like on buttered toast V4.x?

DJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're angering me.

1. You de-railed the thread. Big time.
    2. You got in Jon's face. I'm not down with that.
    3. I do not vent my anger on people on the forums lightly--if EVER--so you WILL take that as a hint.
    4. The first CF Sound Compendium CD *DOES* have the "Grevious Guards" stuff. The font is called Electrostaff. If you were paying attention to things related to CF in the past--you'd know that.
    5. FURTHER... if you were paying attention lately... you'd know that I HAVE been putting efforts into placing a "Halo-style" sound font on CD#2.

Enough. How's that for a Wilhelm scream...

I now decree that this thread WILL STAY ON-TOPIC, or your post is simply to be removed.

Further... for those who have the power (or care to wield it)... I say ERASE the last few posts. I love Erv's last because it teaches people about the .WAV, .RAW forms, etc... ... but it belongs under sound. It was only instigated by DJ.

Don't make me angry. Really. Not a single one of you have EVER seen me TRULY angry. And you'd all very much hate it.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Yes, feel the anger inside you!
    Submit to the Dark Side! You can feel the POWER!!!
    MWUAHAHAHA *AH *Ah *COUGH*... í've got to stop that evil laugh thing....

Anyway, back to the On-Topic department:

Please bear with me since i dont know how the CF is constructed in detail,
    but would it be possible, or make sense at least, to have a seperate accellerometer?
    What i mean to say is, could it be possible to have the motion sensor only in one place (say, the pommel),
    and the processing handled in another, someplace where you have the room?
    The reason is that, because there often is not enough room in the pommel (with the speaker and all) for the entire soundboard.
    I guess the CF allready reacts wonderfully, but maybe this might improve things even further.
    One thing it would do is give sabersmiths more freedom with their wiring, i think.

mTm

P.S. I know the accelerometer is probably completely integrated and cant be moved in any way,
    or the signal might take too long through actual wires, but i thought id just get it out there.
    Last edited by mihunai; 10-14-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by mihunai View Post
    Yes, feel the anger inside you!
    Submit to the Dark Side! You can feel the POWER!!!
    MWUAHAHAHA *AH *Ah *COUGH*... í've got to stop that evil laugh thing....

Anyway, back to the On-Topic department:

Please bear with me since i dont know how the CF is constructed in detail,
    but would it be possible, or make sense at least, to have a seperate accellerometer?
    What i mean to say is, could it be possible to have the motion sensor only in one place (say, the pommel),
    and the processing handled in another, someplace where you have the room?
    The reason is that, because there often is not enough room in the pommel (with the speaker and all) for the entire soundboard.
    I guess the CF allready reacts wonderfully, but maybe this might improve things even further.
    One thing it would do is give sabersmiths more freedom with their wiring, i think.

mTm

P.S. I know the accelerometer is probably completely integrated and cant be moved in any way,
    or the signal might take too long through actual wires, but i thought id just get it out there.

????????

WTF?

Why would you need the accelerometer seperate? If it isn't sensitive enough where it is in the hilt, you just adjust the 'ls' parameter in .txt file.

....so this is how the world ends...........

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Why would you want to put a sound board in the pommel, anyway?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Novastar iirc it may have been I who suggested a Halo plasma sword font wayyyyyyy back so I want you to know I did notice that on your CD announcement and do appreciate the effort you've made towards that which I imagine may have been harder to isolate than more conventional saber sounds since the plasma swords are usually mixed with other sounds in the game?

If I only get one CF this time I probably won't use it on my very first CF saber which I have another design in mind for...but someday that font will make my Halo plasmasaber design ignite, oh yes it will...so Thank You.

CF is a particularly great board in that it can allow applications even beyond SW lightsabers...I hope I get lucky enough to get several in the future...but even one...

I appreciate the praise, but... ARGGGGGGG:

*STAY ON TOPIC* *STAY ON TOPIC*
    Stay on target... Stay on target...
    -------------------------------------

Um... ok... how can I help re-rail... let's see...

First off, this may end up making sound font design *WAY* more intense, but here goes. And I've already suggested this to Erv privately, so... might as well re-rail with this.

* We already have >512kb cards in "common use"
    * Heck... we are seeing 1GB cards!
    * Plenty of extra room for >8 swings, >8 clashes, etc.

The options to do this would be:

A) CF "pre-scans" bank directories to determine how many clashes, swings and so forth there are. CF sets a variable to the # of each in order to do random setups, and so forth. There you go, pretty much unlimited swings or clashes.

B) User pre-sets values in each sound bank "swgamt=X" and "clsamt=Y", and CF will then look for swing1 to swingX and clash1 to clashY (naturally). There you go, pretty much unlimited swings or clashes.

Thoughts/observations/postulations:

* Pre-scan would be nice, but possibly overkill. Also... this could get a bit extensive if CF was counting files. Additionally, would/could the files be named ANYthing (so long as they were in the correct directory)... or would we run into issues if the file numbers weren't contiguous (i.e. swing1, swing2, swing4, swing26).

* Strange as it sounds... looking at files for "swing2" and "swing26" is actually pretty tough to tell the computer/chip what order that really is. Just watch how Windows handles files like that, lol. You'd have to do "01" or "001"?!? Etc. Hmm.

* Pre-scan would only "waste time" at boot I suppose. Possibly a small "price to pay" if the processor warrants it.

* Having parameters to set how many sounds are comin' CF's way could be a bit clunky. Every time you drag and drop new sounds... you'd have to update parameters. If you counted wrong--whoops...

Hmm... I could see it being an option. Heck, when I was designing my "Ns5" board idea back in the DAY (just months before I "met" Erv... via chat/e-mail/etc.)... I was thinking of this very concept: unlimited sounds.

Well... limited only in the sense that you have only so much memory. But 1gb of swings would be about... ... ... ohh... ... ... I don't know...

... .... around 26,000 swings. Based on the retarded idea of having swings that were 40k each. Which is retarded because even some of my longest (normal) CLASHES are ~50k.

So... anyhow.

What kind of CD would THAT warrant?!? "New Blackstar font... with 128 swings and 256 clashes!!! 8 power on sounds, 17 poweroffs... and 9001 blaster sounds..."

O.O

HOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYYY.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thay's pretty amazing...but are people really saying they need more than 8 swings, more than eight clashes etc? per font?

With real swords there would indeed be an infinite number of possible clash sounds depending on whether blades struck on edges, flats, angles etc and all the accompanying variations in vibration harmonics but a lightsaber is supoosed to be omnidirectional and cuts through almost anything - and everything it does cut - EQUALLY 'frictionlessly' [blast doors aside eh] so a given lightsaber probably realistically wouldnt sound much different no matter what it was cutting through or striking or clashing with methinks?

Except maybe other sabers but even then I wouldnt expect that much variation in a sabers own sound since the blades are omnidirectional without edges or flats...more like a combination of the two fonts...hmmm maybe some waaaaay future version could use a tiny mic so two sabers could sense what font the other was using them and combine them together in a clash or lockup? or is that crazy? Or does our hearing them do that anyway?

Probably dumb idea there but I'm not afraid of looking dumb so I'll toss it out there...I'm just wondering what future effects might be achieved if CF sabers could sense each other and make adjustments based on each others fonts...yeah crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    To get maximum sensitivity, in the case of a small hilt, where you have the soundchamber etc. at the bottom (no room for soundcard) and the blade holder at the top (no room for sound card) which often only leave the most inert part available, the middle.

And why are you acting so 'confused' at the suggestion of placing the soundcard in the pommel? The CF manual even suggests to place the soundcard as far from the point of articulation as possible, which is more often than not near the top. So placing it in the pommel might not be such a strange idea, or is that just me?

It was just a suggestion to get more freedom in the electronics department.
    One step further would be (in the case of LED-string sabers) is to have the accelerometer at the blade tip, since there may be the occasional 'pommel-centered' swings. And yes, i know we're talking split-second reaction times, but once again, just suggestions. Maybe someone might come along with ideas to make it work, instead of reasons why it wont. it just might happen.

So, thats why.

mTm
    Last edited by mihunai; 10-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    because the user's manual says to put the CF as low as possible in the hilt. That's a rule of the thumb supposed to avoid a long (and boring) explanation of how it works, and what options are. This is supposed to provide a pommel access to the sd card for most people (I'm not talking of advanced chassis technique or removable side plate).

The fact it that you just need to have the motion sensor NOT right under the center of the hand that is spinning the saber. Board in top half of the saber, of in the bottom, just ensure you have 1" roughtly between your hand and the motion sensor.

yes indeed people ask for more sounds. Most of the time it's called innovation actually. I could handle dozens more of sounds on CF but what's the point.
    auto scanning remains an option for V5, problem is, you open that door (well, that can of worm) people will name files in a stupid way, have gaps in the numbering and wonder why some sounds aren't loaded / found. I can do even more advanced things supposed to automate the system but at the end it makes it more complex. I'm working with artist for my day job and I've learnt that putting some boundaries on features is a need.
    The trade off is also balancing features and efficiency. If you spend 4 sec finding out how many sounds you have it doesn't work neither. The "whoa it's cool this thing has auto scanning" is meaning less since it has the speed of a dead tree.

The real question is usage. Most people don't focus on that since it's not their culture, current marketing target is to make people buy cool stuff with tactile screens and blinkies they actually don't need.

I'm not saying that volume control is dumb. However, always consider :
    - you want a feature : how do you control it / how do you activate it.
    - is it permanent, or is it just you own need. What if other think it's stupid / useless / dangerous, how do you parameter it ?

it's a product, supposed to fit various sort of needs, I needed rules. 8 swings, 8 clashes. You don't have that many for your personnal sound font : dupplicate sounds. Easy for everyone.

I'm NOT saying the bill gates thing "8 swings should be enough for everyone". It's a matter of context.

(You absolutly want a volume control, you remove the onboard pot and place a 10k pot on the side of your saber)
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by mihunai View Post
    To get maximum sensitivity, in the case of a small hilt, where you have the soundchamber etc. at the bottom (no room for soundcard) and the blade holder at the top (no room for sound card) which often only leave the most inert part available, the middle.
    mTm
    about size : I fitted batteries, CF, and speaker in like 6.5 cm. Then a resonnance chamber with a crysta inside over 4 centimeters. Everything fits in 14 cm and I still have space and the board is still bottom side, so yes it's def possible.
    sorry for the double post.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com