Thread: Actually introduce myself

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Actually introduce myself

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking and commenting for a while, but never really introduced myself.

My name is Jason, and I live on Vancouver Island , British Columbia. My occupation is "Forest Engineer", but I am currently recovering from a back injury/surgery. I am not exactly sure what has drawn me to making lightsabers, I assume it has something to do with boredom and painkillers. Videogames now bore me, as I prefer to waste my time on something I can make and hold.

My pre-injury hobbies included: Gardening, woodworking (Bow-making), Archery, fishing ,skateboarding and snowboarding, rock-hounding/lapidary, Beer making and all sorts of artistic endeavours. Most of these hobbies are not great on the back. My father is an electrical engineer, and always had a bunch of doo-dads and stuff on his work bench. I remember playing with the soldering iron when he wasn't looking.

There are so many inspirational builders on this site, it makes me strive for excellence. I never seem to be 100% happy with any of my builds, so I constantly make and upgrade new ones.

Eventually, I hope to learn a bunch of new skills, I hope to use this hobby as a fun platform to eventually create technologies related to my occupation. For whatever reason, I am more determined and driven to learn new skills when making something fun, as opposed to utilitarian.

This is a gateway hobby. "You have taken your first step into a much larger world".

How many people can honestly say, "I would never want to own a lightsaber"?

Yes, a real lightsaber would make my real job much easier!

Cheers
    -Whosle?
    Last edited by Whosle; 09-26-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Hello Jason. I found my way to this place a few years back after googling everything Star Wars. Like you say, who doesn't want a lightsaber? At last, I could fulfil my childhood dream of owning the coolest weapon but boy are they more-ish .
    I'm an electrician but I hadn't really touched electronics since my apprenticeship so I've kinda re-learnt skills. What I really enjoy is the building/engineering and the metalwork and thanks to some unexpected generosity from my dad I have a lathe. I'm learning as I go and I'm never really 100% happy I just try to make the next one better.
    Hope your recovery goes well and look forward to more sabers
    MTFBWY

Paul (Greenie)

110 posts in before an intro thread, wow.

I found this site after my son bought an US saber at a local convention. I'm only 1 saber in, but that's a time/budget problem.

Forest engineer sounds very interesting. As an outdoorsman and Scout leader, I've often thought that something like a park ranger might be a good second career after retirement.

Welcome to the forums.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

A belated welcome sir.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

A belated welcome
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"