I've heard that the 3 LED cree are better than the tri-rebels. Is this true? How much better and in what way? The tri-rebel is $9.50 cheaper in the configuration I want (RGB), so if it is only a small difference, I'm inclined to go with the cheaper option.
Also, I want to use a recharge port. I'm a little unclear on how to wire the port up, I find it rather difficult to find simple build diagram, as most folks want lots of extras I don't want. For example, I don't want sound, it makes my brain buzz. I'll use resistors rather than a buckpuck. (on a side note, do resistors go on the positive or negative wire?)
I'm considering a couple options at the moment. Either 3 separate power buttons (latching, of course), each wired to a separate LED, giving me what should be options of 7 colors (red, green, blue, yellow, purple, cyan or white), depending on which buttons are depressed.
I've also considered using potentiometers instead, one to each LED, to give me a full range on each color. I imagine I would need a single power button in that setup, wired to everything. I'm a bit concerned that I would bump them while holding the saber though, if I had them accessible from the exterior, and screw up my colors (like an old fashioned radio, you bump the dial, you lose the station). Perhaps have them in the chassis inside?
Also, are there other options to mounting a blade in a 1.25" sink pipe rather than the part in the shop? It seems there must be something I could make to work. Perhaps PVC?