Thread: Corbin drives? Heard about 'em, never seen one. Any help?

Default Corbin drives? Heard about 'em, never seen one. Any help?

I keep hearing about corbin drivers. I would like to try one but don't know where to find them. I keep getting linked to TCSS but only get a blank page. Anyone know where to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin74 View Post
    I keep hearing about corbin drivers. I would like to try one but don't know where to find them. I keep getting linked to TCSS but only get a blank page. Anyone know where to get one?
    As I recall, they haven't been made in years.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I don't remember seeing them in the shop for a long while. I believe they became pretty much obsolete because they cost about as much as the Nano Biscotte does now, and the NB can do everything that board did with the addition of sound and a few other features

I wanna know where you've been hearing all about them! lol

Just found them mentioned in the forums. Here and fxsabers. So was just curious.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A Corbin Driver was an LED driver designed for lightsabers by Corbin Das, and distributed through TCSS. It used PWM to create a fade on/fade off effect when activated, it also utilized an auxiliary switch that performed an additional, increased flicker function, like a lockup. It was only a driver, so no sound, however there are wiring diagrams in the wiring forums for wiring it with MR/Hasbro sound using a dual-pole switch.

It came in two configurations, momentary or latching activation; the aux was always momentary action. The latching was the one that was preferred if you were going to use it with a separate sound board, however, now with the pololu, either can work.

There were 3 versions: version 1 was large, about 1.2"x 1.6"-ish, it was famous for being the original guts for Killer Penny; version 2 was smaller, about the size of a nano biscote, it also had an onboard micro tactile switch; version 3 was round about 1.25" diameter; they all put out 1 Amp with an input of around 4-12 volts.