Thread: Steamed Maul

Default Steamed Maul

IT'S FINALLY DONE!!! This one took much longer than expected, but I couldn't be happier with the results.

Warning: LONG STORY...feel free to skip if this isn't your cup of tea

This one's back story takes us into a not so bright alternate Star Wars universe future in which the few remaining Jedi are nowhere to be found after the New Sith Empire has laid waste to the once beautiful worlds of the Republic. What was once a lush green fertile Eden, Naboo is now a desert wasteland supporting only the few scavengers that dare brave the harsh conditions in search of remnants of the once prosperous society.

One such scavenger feels a dark presence calling to him in his dreams and knowing now fear he heads off towards the mysterious pull. The sensation leads him to half buried ruins of what was once the capitol city. After days and days of moving heavy stone and durasteel the Scavenger had found nothing, but the intensity of the presence calling him had grown to a roar in his mind.

That night while trying to sleep the Scavenger fell into a vision in which he appeared as a stunning pillar of light walking through the city as it once was. While exploring the vacant city and admiring its stunning beauty he began to hear the dark call once again. Just then he was attacked from above by a figure of pure darkness, the only light coming from the attacker being the twin bladed saberstaff glowing furious red seeming to wash the the whole city in its burning light. At the last moment before the killing blow struck the Scavengers head he instinctively reached to his waste and found the cool metal of a lightsaber hilt in his grasp. He hit the igniter and brought it up to block the blow, balancing the glow of the city around him with a bright blue hue.

The two battled for what seemed like eons until in a whirlwind of force energy and lightsaber blades the Scavenger struck true, bisecting the dark figure at the waist. As the two halves fell apart the Scavengers world dissolved back into the reality of the ruins he had fallen asleep in. He was shocked to discover that he was now sleeping more than 100 ft down in an enormous crater that had not existed before his "nap." Groggily recovering his vision the Scavenger looked around frantically for a way back up and out of this enormous depression, it was then he saw it. Laying as if placed gently only for him was a badly damaged dull metal tube that could only been one thing. Upon closer inspection he noticed it had once been a lightsaber staff but had been cauterized at one end where it was cut in half.

After collecting his plunder and finding a route up the cliff wall and out of the crater, the Scavenger returned to his ship which served as his only home, workshop and most of all freedom. There he used his considerable mechanic skills to dissamble the old saber and remove the badly cracked and damaged red crystal inside. He would spend the next few years of his life discovering his connection to the force and acquiring the rare parts he would need to complete the weapon from his vision. He would complete it and he would use it to fight the darkness, not from his dreams but the real darkness ruling the galaxy.

Specs
    MR Maul body
    MHS thin neck(modified)
    Heavy weathering
    Custom brass pommel insert
    Custom brass Blade plug
    Custom brass crystal chamber
    Genuine quartz crystal
    CFv8
    7.4v 18500 TCSS battery pack
    TriCree XP-E2 RbRbW
    8 accent leds
    In hilt recharge w/ custom kill key
    Lots and lots of little custom details

and now pics...

Last one is a video just showing all the blinks.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Wow. That's some really nice work dude. Outstanding!
    I read the back story.......I think you have a book in you. Get writing

Thanks very much, the back story just came to me as I was posting, I had a much simpler version in mind, but I'm happy with what came out. I felt this saber deserved a good one.

Very cool - the steampunk look is awesome!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Agreed...well done indeed. I'm a steampunk fan as well. Like the design....and the back story.

Blog Entries

Tl;DR But I do like the look.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Love the backstory & the saber is beautiful!

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Cool hinged door for the crystal chamber!

Quote Originally Posted by Ris Liam View Post
    Cool hinged door for the crystal chamber!
    Thanks it's my favorite feature