Thread: Ugh - can't decide: Nano Biscotte or Petite Crouton

Default Ugh - can't decide: Nano Biscotte or Petite Crouton

So this will be my maiden saber build and i am STILL struggling with the soundboard - either a NB or a PC.

I would like the saber to have foc and ideally the ability to change blade colors, but not much more than that. The only real reason I would go with the PC would be for the blade color change.

Pros for the NB
    Much lower costs
    Tutorial videos exist for the specific board
    Pretty straight forward

Cons for the NB (for me)
    Can't change blade colors (or at least, not easily )

Pros for the PC (I would also buy the CEx)
    Lots of options
    Change blade colors on the fly

Cons for the PC
    About $100 more (when you add in the CEx)
    Def more complex build

I just can't decide. Part of me thinks I should just go moderately simple for my first build and go with ththe NB. But he other part thinks I should just go for it all.

Given that I havcan never built a saber, do any "veteran" saber builders have suggestions for me?

I started with the MR boards and then graduated to the PC. The latter is a much better experience. Once you start plating with stuff like blasters, lockups, and force sounds, it makes it really hard to go back. I tried a nano after, and just being able to turn it on and off, and hear the motion and clash sounds really got boring, so I still to modrange boards for my own collection.

If you can't decide, try the Prizm. Runs off one battery like the nano, doesn't need a cex for color changing, and won't break the bank at $50 more than the nano. It's easily my favorite board due to its combination of simplicity, feavtures, and price.

I just skimmed the Prizm manual and I really like what I see - no need for a CEx, uses a single battery, pretty straight forward. That may be the route!

What board is your "go to" board?

For everybody, it is different. Choices are sometimes made by your budget, or "needs". I've basically only used CF's in all my build for all the years I've been building, though i do have a couple of build that I'm just going to pop PC's in.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'm a prizm guy, for all the reasons I stated above. I like the balance simplicity and features it offers.

Not to hijack, but somewhat related. I put a NB in my first build, a Solos Hold V2. I'll be getting one of Roman's Graflexes and I'm considering going up to the PRIZM for it so I can have two bottoms and one font set for cyan/ANH sounds and one set for blue/TFA sounds. I was planning on only putting one switch in under the red button. I don't want one under the bubble strip when it's set up for ANH. After some brief looking around it looks like I basically need two switches for the PRIZM, is this correct? Would I be better off just sticking with a NB and keeping it set up for one or the other: TFA or ANH.

It does require 2 switches, ideally momentary, but I think some people have used latching.

The final decision really comes down to how much you want a more dynamic setup. Doing so will require more money (prizm is more expensive) and some more thinking to determine how you are going to wire everything up.

For me, I wanted a dynamic saber and I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision to go with a prizm.

I would recomend the prizm.It has all the features you want at a lower cost than the pc board.