Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Common anode vs common cathode for PRIZM 3.5 Crystal Chamber LED

Default Common anode vs common cathode for PRIZM 3.5 Crystal Chamber LED

I am reading through the PRIZM 3.5 manual and trying to decide how to do my crystal chamber LED.

My understanding is that if I want to run a R/G/B LED to mimic blade color, I would use a common anode and just use the same pads as the main LED (with a resistor for each leg of the CC LED).

I saw mention of using a common cathode LED, but I am not seeing how that would be wired, or the advantages/disadvantages of going that route?

You can wire a common cathode LED to the PWM driver pads. It's in the manual somewhere :P

The advantage is that you won't need a large resistor as they are 3.3V.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    You can wire a common cathode LED to the PWM driver pads. It's in the manual somewhere :P

The advantage is that you won't need a large resistor as they are 3.3V.
    Will this also mimic blade color?

Yes. Basically the three colour channels each have a PWM signal generated by the MCU, which is only 3.3V and low-current, and can't drive a high-power LED. So they drive three PExs which you can see at the top edge of the board, that you wire your high-power LEDs to. So you have the choice to wire your CC LED to the PWM signal pads (3.3V pad, common cathode LED type) or the PExs (3.7V pad, common anode LED type), however the former is recommended by the manual, on pages 28-29.

I am going to have to sit down and diagram it out. I have read that section of the manual a few times and am still missing something.

Per the diagram, exactly where are you soldering the accent LED leads? The picture is fuzzy. Does anyone have a picture of their PRIZM wired this way?

You'd have to solder a common cathode LED right to the legs of the transistors: the legs that are closest to the edge of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    You'd have to solder a common cathode LED right to the legs of the transistors: the legs that are closest to the edge of the board.
    So to be clear, if I go this route, I still need a resistor for the CC LED?

For the sake of cram fu, I am trying to figure out how to mirror the blade color when it changes with the least number or size of resistors.

I am following this as well since I need to do the same. Are the PWM "pads" actual pads? Even better does anyone have a pic they're willing to share?
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nurse View Post

For the sake of cram fu, I am trying to figure out how to mirror the blade color when it changes with the least number or size of resistors.
    Yes, you would still need to use resistor(s) for the CC LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nurse View Post

You'd still need a resistor, but to be honest there is so little current going through the circuit that you'll probably end up using the same size of resistor if you use the blade pad or the transistor legs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    I am following this as well since I need to do the same. Are the PWM "pads" actual pads? Even better does anyone have a pic they're willing to share?
    I say "pads" but they're not actually pads, no. Check the manual section on crystal chamber wiring.