Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wiring, solder, heatshrinks and more :)

That's one of the reasons why we say: The enemy of an LED isn't amps or voltage. It's heat.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

Though it only offers values from 26 awg or larger. Though its recommendations will most likely also have a large safety margin built in thanks to legal teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    That's one of the reasons why we say: The enemy of an LED isn't amps or voltage. It's heat.
    Yes, it effects the output level and color but more importantly it exponentially effects the voltage drop. Once the critical temperature is reached the voltage draw will hit a run away point until you get a puff of smoke! In a couple of simulations he ran for me in some instances resistors couldn't pop before the LED did.

This is very helpful, and I believe this is what OP was looking for. Thanks Ace.

ace that is super handy! although the numbers it spits out are way lower than i expected/experience. But its probably way closer than any of the various charts ive seen. it probably just comes down to there being too many factors that affect heat dissipation that are unique to each persons hilt and wiring setup. i like that this calculator atleast accounts for jacketed wire and number of wires in bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Its a testament to the quality of the heat-sinks and the LED holders extending the thermal transfer out to the hilt. That is actually from his mouth not mine.
    Yeah, it's funny how it works out when Electrical Engineers actually design our sound cards and others with engineering experience help design saber parts.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for that

It seems very low to me, a 30 awg wire only handle about 1.18 amps. I think we get more than 1.18 amps on one wire if we use a 3.7 or 7.4 v li-ion battery.
    We know that a lot of sabersmiths use 30 awg wire wihtout any trouble. So how correct could the calculator? I know wirequality is also a very important part.

its an estimate. best u can do really. lotta things factor, wire quality, thickness/material of jacket, proximity to other current bearing wire or heat generating components, proximity to heat dissipating materials like aluminum tubing, airflow.. most are safe with 26-30awg range, i think we can leave it there.