Thread: Switching Out ***** V4 to Crystal Focus v7.5

Default Switching Out ***** V4 to Crystal Focus v7.5

Hey saber enthusiests! As I am waiting for a Graflex CE from the website Ultrasabers, I have been doing research on sabers due to boredom and I discovered different things about different soundboards. The best one I found was the Crystal Focus v7.5. Is it possible for me to replace the original soundboard from Ultrasabers (Obisidian V4) into the v7.5? If I can, what is the quality difference between the ultrasaber obsidian v4 and the Crystal Focus v7.5. An answer would be most appreciated, thank you!

-OldManSpock

We don't discuss other saber vendors here. These forums are attached to the TCSS store.

With that said, comparing *that board* to a CF7.5 is like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Someone over at fx-sabers may be able to do your comparison.

The Crystal Focus (next will be Version 8 ) is the best sound card out there. There is little comparison to the other board you mentioned. You either want the "best" or you don't. It's as simple as that.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I hope this is within the bounds of the TCSS forum to discuss the technical aspects of making it work, but from a strictly technical standpoint I'm sure the speaker and LEDs are compatible. You'll want to get the technical specs of the LEDs so you don't blow them, you could also use the hilt body and buy an LED and heatsink from TCSS... but might have to do a lot of work to make it fit. I don't know the internal dimensions of the chassis so the biggest challenge might be building an internal chassis that will fit right. TCSS sells acrylic chassis discs for ID 1.15" and ID 1.25", you can probably dremel them into the right size if you have to go smaller but be mindful of the holes for the threaded rods. The CF requires different setups depending on your power solution, so you either need to make sure the existing batteries are compatible or replace them with your own. I'm guessing you'll need to go single cell to make it fit, which involves modifying the CF board as outlined in the manual (page 46). TCSS sells high quality batteries with protection circuits built in, so you can source those from here. As mentioned, CF v8 is on the way so check the release notes on it to see if the features are worth the wait.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with my CF board. I think the features Erv Plecter has put into his boards really bring the saber to life in a unique way. That said, much of the fun of building a saber for me was the process of putting it all together (hilt, wiring, choosing parts, etc). If you will enjoy tinkering and making a project out of it then absolutely, mod it out like crazy. If you'll be perfectly content with it as-is, better to not modify it; better yet, build yourself a second saber with MHS parts and avoid tearing a complete unit apart if you've never done it before.