Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inserting A Power Level Indicator Into My Design

Default Inserting A Power Level Indicator Into My Design

Hey guys, so here's what I'm doing. I'm getting an UltraSaber with full Emerald and Obsidian upgrades. I need US because I run on Mac exclusively and they're the only option that I can tell supports it. I'm going to remove the guts and put them in an MHS saber of my own design, however I would like to add a PLI for the added flare. Would I be able to insert it after the green AV switch so they run off the same resistor? I'm trying to do this with the least amount of hassle because I'm no tech expert by any stretch, I can do basic stuff, but hardly more than that. Also, I may need to post this elsewhere, but how would I go about covering up the PCB and connections and getting everything to lie flush with the top of the activation box. My current idea is to have a friend design and 3D print a cover, but if there's an easier way, I'd be very open to it. if need be I can post pictures once I actually get the saber. Also would I bridge the two connections for voltage or no?
    Last edited by Kal-El_Kenobi1138; 02-22-2016 at 10:38 PM.

The PLI doesn't need a resistor

Plecter Labs R.I.C.E. supports Macs for on the fly configuration changing if that is what you are talking about.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

As Greenie says, PLI does not use a resistor and hooks up directly to the battery/recharge port

For covering the PCB, I've seen others use Clear Heatshrink, or you could cut a thin plastic sheet down to size, or any number of things really!

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Plecter Labs R.I.C.E. supports Macs for on the fly configuration changing if that is what you are talking about.
    He mentioned using Ultrasabers electronics.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

AS some others might have pointed out, PL products can be used with a Mac (manually or via RICE). Ultrasabers' electronics aren't commonly used or discussed on this forum, so I doubt you're going to get a lot of help on that front here.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Alrighty, so it sounds like in theory I can just splice it in where ever it will fit?

Someplace between the sound board and the battery. I'd put it right after the recharge port, so you can cut it off with a kill key.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    He mentioned using Ultrasabers electronics.
    I was trying to steer him towards the light.

perhaps for my next saber, I'll take a look at Plecter