Thread: Question regarding wiring Power Extender 2.0 (NB 2.0 build)

Default Question regarding wiring Power Extender 2.0 (NB 2.0 build)

Greetings all. I've been lurking for the past several months and reading everything I can to learn more about this hobby. I finally ordered my parts in October and got them last month and have been (slowly) working on putting together my first saber ever since.
    I apologize if this specific question has been asked and answered before (I was unable to find this exact question when I searched).

My build uses an 18650 3.7v Li-Ion battery, a tri-cree (R/rB/W) with the proper resistors and a NB 2.0 soundboard which I plan to pair with the powerextender 2.0 (all of these parts are the ones from TCSS).

From the various posts I've read (and the extremely helpful videos MadCow has done) I understand that when wiring the pex, if I don't plan to use a surface mounted resistor for the FoC LED die I can simply run the positive wire from the NB to the positive pad leaving the PEX (instead of bridging the gap where the surface mounted resistor would go). My question is, if the first positive pad can be bypassed like that on the pex, does that positive lead actually need to be soldered to the pex at all, or can I just run that positive straight to the LED and only worry about connecting the FoC pad and the negative line from the NB to the pex for it to work?

I will attempt to attach a jpeg showing what I mean (note for simplicity, the image only shows the wiring of the pex for FoC and does not show the wiring for the speakers, battery, other LEDs, etc. -I also left the .5ohm resistor that will be in the circuit for the white LED out of the diagram):
    Attachment 12982

I hope this is not too ridiculous a question, I simply didn't see where the positive to the led was actually interacting with the pex board if no SMD resistor is being used and figured it would be worth knowing if it actually does or not.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome to the Forums.

You can bypass both of the (+) pads and add the resistor inline as I think you plan to.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

You can bypass both of the (+) pads and add the resistor inline as I think you plan to.
    Great to know! Thank you so much for the (very) quick reply.