Thread: Saber Hilt Length Questions

Default Saber Hilt Length Questions

After spending hours upon hours designing a hilt that I really like, it turns out that the length is longer than usual. I'm 6'4" and prefer a two-handed grip. The length of what I've designed is 14". That's a bit deceptive though as the pommel is 2" inches long and the main body grip is 5" with 3.5" of actual handle space.

I know there's no real hard and fast rule about these things, but in people's estimation would this just be ridiculous?

Here's a picture:
    Mejaalkir_2.jpg

Thoughts from the experts? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forums.

Typically, they are 11 - 13" long, so you're not too far off.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Force Aware

It's not ridiculous at all. I tend to prefer smaller hilts, but it will always be a preference. I've seen plenty of folks resort to incredibly long hilt 's just to more easily fit electronics, crystal chambers, etc. To put it simply, do what feels right to you. There is no right or wrong when constructing your own saber and its aesthetics. 14" is a bit long to me, but I've seen longer. If it feels right to you, it is the right choice.

Default General Hilt Length

I know this is probably a tiring question but what is considered the best length of a hilt. I know that they will vary for the person but I'm only 5' 11" so does that mean my height will affect the length of my hilt? Like I've stated in my other post about a custom hilt I've never built one and I've searched through all the threads, but I think I'm missing something. please help. thanks!

I completely missed this post! I'm no expert but I'm basically looking for the same answers.

I've done a bunch of searching on line for "hilt length rules" and come up with bupkiss. I read one rule that says it should be about as long as your forearm. On another forum there was a .jpg that is now 404/defunct that had a measurement guide. Like several have said, it breaks down to what works for you, individually, but I really wish there was a set of guidelines based on people's experiences with hilts.

Quote Originally Posted by ANorris View Post
    I've done a bunch of searching on line for "hilt length rules" and come up with bupkiss. I read one rule that says it should be about as long as your forearm. On another forum there was a .jpg that is now 404/defunct that had a measurement guide. Like several have said, it breaks down to what works for you, individually, but I really wish there was a set of guidelines based on people's experiences with hilts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

Typically, they are 11 - 13" long, so you're not too far off.
    I'll leave this here.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Welcome to the forums. At 6'4", you're a 'big unit' I'm only 5'10", my first hilt finished up at 13" and I'm pretty comfortable with it. So 14" sounds fine. It's a very cool design which I'm keen to see realised
    Good luck ANorris and MTFBWY

Threads merged - FJK
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I'll leave this here.
    Sorry. Wasn't trying to supersede your comment by any means. I appreciate your help for sure.