Thread: Resistor Heat Issue?

Default Resistor Heat Issue?

I decided to practice my soldering and wiring techniques on a PVC stunt saber before ruining a sound card. Other than a few parts being out of stock, I was almost done with the project until I ran into a possible issue.

The resistor, when ran for more than a minute, is getting hot to the touch. Hot as in "I can't keep my finger on it for more than a few seconds".

I've read that the resistor should only really get 'warm'. I've also metered my full charged Li Ion at 4.13v, yet most everyone seems to calculate resistors at the rated voltage.
    Do I need to:
    1]Up the resistor to a 1.5 ohm/2 watt to compensate for the higher full charge? or
    2]Up the watt rating of the resistor to match Fv of the LED (3 watts)?

I am using:
    Amber Cree XP-E2 CopperNova (2.65Fv @ 1000mA)
    1.2 ohm/2 watt resistor
    3.7 Li Ion single cell
    Latching guarded switch

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Well, even at the 4.1V the resistor value should technically be 1.5-ish W. What resistor are you using now? Resistors use heat to dissipate the excess energy. They aren't meant to be touched at all. You could use a higher wattage resistor, as long as it will fit into your hilt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Using 3.7v as my power source and running the LED at 1000mA, I ran the numbers through the equation.
    I am currently using a 1.2 ohm/2 watt resistor, by using the online calculator (it rounded up from 1.05/1.05).

The reason I am concerned about the heat is it will be enclosed into the hilt with little to no air movement to pull the heat off.

Would upping the wattage be the first thing that would lower heat?
    I should be able to fit a 3 watt into the hilt just fine, I just need to make another trip to the store.

It should lower it some.

Sabers in general do tend to get warm, due to trying to run several high powered LEDs, resistors and such.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Sounds good, I'll pop down to the store tomorrow and grab some more resistors. I might as well test a bit further, seeing as this is my first electronics project.

Thank you for clearing up my concern in a timely manner!