Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pay as I go

Quote Originally Posted by Gibraltor View Post
    Thank you for the speedy response, a little sad I need to investigate a bit more than I really wanted to but I'm sure I can hack through all the weeds to get the info I need.
    Welcome to the forum and the fun; however, a word of advice...take your time and start reading the posts out here. It will certainly help you in designing and building your own lightsaber. As Madcow (watch the TCSS YouTube videos and you'll get to know Rob very well) is famous for saying: "You rush it, you wreck it."

Plus, it will really save you money in the long run because you might not have to order multiple times to get the parts you want/need. Believe me, I know from personal experience. I'm on my 3rd order from Tim & co for my first 2 builds.

I second that. You gotta do the R&D or it will be an acronym for regret & disappointment

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Okay cool! Hey what's the difference between MHS v1 and v2, and are they compatible? Has anyone used the tonfa parts to make a Kylo Ren crossguard yet?
    MHS question has already been answered, but as for the Tonfa parts being used for a crossguard: I believe someone had mentioned it as a possibility, but I don't remember seeing them take it anywhere.

Research sucks, but pays hardcore in the long run. Not just on noob things such as "what resistor?" or "can this power that", but mainly size/space/requirements. The other main factor that has no counter is "The cooler it looks, the more it costs". Cool looking stuff that people build are really cram fu nightmares, and I have no idea how they are so talented as to pull off some of the stuff they do.

18500 & 18650 packs are so much better than 14500 and 14650 packs its not even funny. Unless space prevents, that is always the way to go.

And what cracks me up is how much everyone says "we don't talk about UltraSabers here". Honestly, their reputation for sucking precedes them. You can read about "custom lightsabers" for the first time and in half an hour you'll run across enough material to know how big of a joke they are. Some pretty looking hilts and THE END.

If you're serious about building it, research, bookmark anything that you find something on and folder it in bookmarks, and make notes. Sounds kinda stupid for something like this, but man those things pay off at some point. And those MadCow videos that weren't around a few years back are a godsend.

And thanks for all the extra advice and welcomes! I have already started watching those Youtube videos and they definitely help!

What the heck is CF? I just tried searching for it and couldn't find out.
    Last edited by Gibraltor; 12-31-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Welcome! As I have said, this hobby is a gift and a curse. When I'm building a saber there is a lot of cursing, but when it's done it is very cool. Anyways, I don't know if you had a chance to check out the videos so here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3w...m8K8zVjaG7CaGQ

I think Rob is awesome for doing these videos and have been quite helpful. I suggest you watch these and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Appreciate the link! Ya, I see the curse part, hooked fo life lol.

Does he explain flash on clash, or does anyone have a video on that? What type of LEDs am I looking at?

And thanks for all the extra advice and welcomes! I have already started watching those Youtube videos and they definitely help!

What the heck is CF? I just tried searching for it and couldn't find out.
    Visit the Padawan's glossary to a lightsaber, someone should.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As everyone said, do your research. Take the time to properly design your saber. Most take months to build anyways.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

I am pretty new to this as well, but here are my 2 cents:

Plan your hilt design carefully. Look at tons of pics and get an idea of your design before you order anything.

Decide what you want the saber to do:
    Single color blade, flash on clash, all the sounds: get a Nano Biscotte
    Multi color blade, flash on clash (FoC), all the sounds: Prizm or Petite Crouton
    Cadillac: Crystal Focus (CF)

Once you decide on the sound, go to Plector Labs website and read the board's manual. Then read it 5 more times. It will literally answer 95% of the questions you will have ( which and how many batteries, which and how many switches, how to wire things up, etc)

Then start to put together a parts list. TCSS is an awesome shop, but prepared to wait as they have been slammed with orders and most parts are out of stock. Subscribe to their Facebook page for stock updates, but be patient. They are VERY back logged.

In between all of that, read these forums, watch videos, and then repeat. Multiple times.

Good luck.