Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri cree and eye safety / blue wavelength hazards

Default Tri cree and eye safety / blue wavelength hazards

Hey guys, I've noticed the cree leds are ridiculously bright.
    (No I'm not stupid looking at a leds bench test...)

Getting a hold of a lumen meter, but still the 447nm frequency is more of concern being between 400-500nm.

Does the blade wrap (on a diffused tube) protect one from the blue light hazard/ wavelength issue?
    (Especially royal blue) (Especially uv blocking blade wrap /filtering)

Oh and I have seen people mix orange with a tri cree, but seems way too bright for the desired effect.
    Anybody had any success visually vs theory?

Any wisdom appreciated

Yes, a good diffused blade will help.

I've made Orange with Tri LEDs, they look pretty good to me. It all depends on how you mix them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Fibonacci View Post
    Oh and I have seen people mix orange with a tri cree, but seems way too bright for the desired effect.
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is the "desired effect" and how is brightness detracting from it? Orange is my favorite blade color.

I have some orange sabers, 1 made from rO/G and one rO/A. I personally prefer using rO/A to get a more reddish orange rather than the yellowy shades you get with rO/G. They don't look a whole lot different on camera but in person the rO/A is much richer.

These photos are both rO/A I don't have any good photos of the rO/G on me.
    Orange 1.jpg
    Erudition 1.jpg
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I'm thinking double blade wrap minimum...

I was thinking rgb cree colour mixing, i've noticed the orange hue (on rice) seems to be visually brighter but more white down the blade, and the orange red area seems to be more... well red. There may be another cause of this, I will experiment more with the mixing...

I have another build that will probably be a RedRedAmber cree for either Red blade and amber foc, or another combination.
    looking at those pics; it looks like it will be fun.

My concerns over the cree intensity / diffusion /blade wrap - Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-energy_visible_light

(Yeah I know wiki, but I cbf writing up an independent report when it's already there.)

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

"This has not been shown to occur in humans, only inconclusively in some rodent, primate, and in vitro studies."

I wouldn't be super concerned personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Fibonacci View Post
    Hey guys, I've noticed the cree leds are ridiculously bright.
    (No I'm not stupid looking at a leds bench test...)

Getting a hold of a lumen meter, but still the 447nm frequency is more of concern being between 400-500nm.

Does the blade wrap (on a diffused tube) protect one from the blue light hazard/ wavelength issue?
    (Especially royal blue) (Especially uv blocking blade wrap /filtering)

Any wisdom appreciated
    What exactly are you asking? You mention the actual wave length of the blue led (any blue light in general will fall in this range as color is simply the wavelength of the light) so I assume you have at least a basic understanding of how wavelengths effect vision and visual acuity. Are you asking about the visual acuity of the flicker since blue wavelengths are more "blurry" to the human eye? Are you asking about possible damage from the light beam? If worried about the beam, yes any of the Crees or Philips LumiLED (rebels) are more laser diodes than LEDs, that's how they are as bright as they are. Though I have several LED flashlights with far more output than any of these. The one caveat with the RB is that some high intensity versions can put out small amounts of UV spectrum, but less than most standard and compact fluorescent lights.

Btw the spec for the entire xp-e line is 301 lumins. Some colors may vary slightly but that is the general manufacturing spec for the line.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-24-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Are you asking about the visual acuity of the flicker since blue wavelengths are more "blurry" to the human eye?
    I've never heard of that, but I have a stunt with a rBrBrB, that thing is briiiiight and yeah, it actually does look blurry. It's actually very trippy to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    The one caveat with the RB is that some high intensity versions can put out small amounts of UV spectrum, but less than most standard and compact fluorescent lights.
    True story. Here is a little "blacklight" effect from that same tri rB saber I mentioned:
    rB.jpg
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not on a soapbox~

I have since read the cree datasheets regarding their class/specifications as fenix mentioned.
    My concerns were over their exact classifications and if a diffused blade + film were a recommended or required combination as they seem to have a massive output. I feel from the cree specifications driven around 700 the thick white poly blade diffusion and a quad film wrap would make it more user friendly Especially with kids.

I had some impressions that higher or overdriven diodes nearing the uv spectrum could cause forms of ocular photo-toxicity or affect developmental stages of eye
    development.

I appreciate all the info ~ I am just ensuring everything is planned correctly, nice and safe.