Thread: Is it a bad idea to use a soundcard in a dueling saber?

Default Is it a bad idea to use a soundcard in a dueling saber?

Exactly what the title says. Just want to see what people say. I want to be sure that sinking 120+ dollars into a saber isn't going to be a huge risk for the soundcard if the saber gets smacked or dropped on a hard surface too often.

It all depends on how well the saber is constructed. I've used mine in duels, and I have CF's in just about all my sabers. Of course, mine are designed and constructed to stand up to some punishment.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You will want the sound card properly secured in a chassis of some sort. You don't want anything bouncing around inside a dueling saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Secured in a chassis that conforms to the inner diameter, its like a seatbelt. Not really any jarring as it would be tight in place. I've beat the crap out of mine, no issues ever.

Personally, I don't like sabers without sound cards. I feel much more dorky trying to make the sound effects myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    Personally, I don't like sabers without sound cards. I feel much more dorky trying to make the sound effects myself.
    I like sabers without sound or sabers that mute. If you're playing around with it at home, it can be nice to do it without the noise.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Thanks guys. My issue with a chassis is that when I build my saber I'm using the ribbed grip handle, which has a smaller internal diameter. Are there chassis parts for that?

Also, because I'd actually be using the Saber for film effect/flashlight purposes, I would have one of the sound fonts be mute, in response to Miraluka.

TCSS has chassis discs for the smaller ID parts so you should be good!
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...-S11-P862.aspx

For what its worth, the one I did with a PC2.0 has the sound card up in the ribbed/grooved extension and its hot glued into a section of a kid's tee ball tee that was laying around and just happened to fit that section. This was built before chassis discs were available, and I've never had a single problem with it. I've beat it pretty good, but of course not a Paul Bunyan pounding as if I were just trying to see if the blade would break. It also proved to me that you can still get accurate swing motion sounds with the card up in the ribbed section as opposed to near the pommel.