Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Saber

Default First Saber

After a few weeks of research on various lightsaber sites and especially this one, I have finally constructed my first saber. I used mostly MHS parts, found items, self-made parts, and a US Obsidian sound card. I am pretty happy with it, though I am already planning more for this one and thinking about making another with a crystal chamber.

I definitely extend my gratitude to this forum for all of the tutorials and inspiration.

T

Well done!

Definitely has a unique look to it.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Nice saber! I like the cast iron look of it.

Wow! Looks rusted. Great job on the weathering!

Blog Entries

Unique indeed. Kind of has a steampunk feel to it.

Nice job weathering. I especially like what you did with the switch section.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thanks for the compliments. I tried to make this saber fit my unique tastes which run the gamut from elegant Victorian to post-apocalyptic Wasteland (or Coruscant to Tatooine).
    A couple of years ago I got into steampunking all kinds of things, but especially Zippos. That is where I got the idea for the switch. I wouldn't call this saber steampunk, necessarily, but it does have some elements. I just replaced the ring that came with my switch with a 5/8" copper tube, cut down and contoured. I brazed a couple of copper pipes from the ring to a copper plate.
    For distressing the leather grip, I wet it down to not-quite-soaked-through, then took it out to my sidewalk and laying it face down, I hit it with a mallet in random places. Weathering/carbon-scoring was done with flat black rattlecan and a loose-weave rag.

Man! That saber is smoking. I like

Blog Entries

Cool picture with the smoke!