Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another saber completed - Payback

Default Another saber completed - Payback

Greetings saber lovers and Star Wars fanatics. It's time for another unveilling just in time for the big premeire. I bring you...

Payback

This build is for a friend of mine that commissioned me to build him a saber as soon as he saw my first saber Obsession. So I sat him down in front of the TCSS builder and this is what he came up with as his ultimate hilt. With some design tweaks along the way we came up with what you see here. Custom copper shrouds were approved by him prior to having the patina added, as was the weathering. Patina was done with a super saturated solution of ammonia and sea salt sprayed on at intervals over 4 hours and rubbed down lightly with very fine steal wool after air drying overnight. Weathering was done with Citadel black primer and some rags. All metal parts were then sprayed with 10 coats of matte finish clear coat. I'm calling it Payback because he did some car repair for me over the summer, and this is his reward.

Here's the specs.

CF7.5 with CEX
    7.4V 18500 battery pack
    Tri Cree red/green/royal blue LED
    12mm white ring anti-vandal set up to blink in deep sleep mode
    micro domed tactile for aux switch
    recharge port access in copper shroud
    RICE port in custom Madcow style PVC chassis
    28 mm premium speaker

And now some glams.

And here's the major sub assemblies, ready to go.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Quixotic Jedi; 12-17-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Very, very nice job! Love the patina on the copper. It almost looks like a birdseye maple. I've seen a lot of the ammonia and salt technique from people that do vape mods (i think thats what they call them). I've also seen mustard, eggs, rubber bands used. Have you ever tried any of those techniques?

Again, great job.

Wow! That is one awesome saber. Love the copper patina and the weathering. That must of been some extensive car repair.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Very, very nice job! Love the patina on the copper. It almost looks like a birdseye maple. I've seen a lot of the ammonia and salt technique from people that do vape mods (i think thats what they call them). I've also seen mustard, eggs, rubber bands used. Have you ever tried any of those techniques?

Again, great job.
    I've tried the egg patina, it gives a softer look to the copper because it doesn't corrode as much. I'm still trying to figure out the best method of masking with mustard. Every time I try that the mustard runs off as soon as I hit it with the mist. Maybe I need to let it dry for a bit before misting with the ammonia. My best patina, IMHO, was on my Copper Dragon saber.

And thanks! Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sks1138 View Post
    Wow! That is one awesome saber. Love the copper patina and the weathering. That must of been some extensive car repair.
    There will be some tough negotiations when he comes to pick it up, that's all I'm saying, lol.

Wow! That looks really good.

Very cool-looking weathering!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Gorgeous piece! I still have a ways to go before I can make sabers that nice.

Very cool. Digging the copper shrouds. How did you make the PVC chassis if you don't mind me asking? Did you start with Sch 80, 1 NPS size PVC and have to mill it down to get it to fit into the MHS parts?