Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snilam's 'Fauxflex'

Looks great! Very clean work. How did you do the blade holder section?
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Looks great! Very clean work. How did you do the blade holder section?

its just a BH 2 with shroud material over it. I was planning to do a build log but as always I just keep on working and forget to document as I go. I put in on a lathe to get the tip of the BH to look like it does and took off a little so the added powdercoat will let the sleeve still slide over. After I get the shroud shape around the emitter done with some cut off wheels, a mill and dremel I made my red button and glass eye holes drill and tapped in the shroud and the BH. I screwed it all together nice and tight along with the box to make sure the shroud does not move on the 4" extension and the BH and I then mill the graflex pins recessed area all as one piece so everything lines up perfectly. Drilled the actual pin holes out. Dissassembled the whole thing and powdercoated and wet sanded and polished. The bunny ears I had to make while the one in the shop comes back. its from a piece of .4" x 1.25" flat bar that I milled out. it was actually quite difficult because I don't have tooling to get that radius on the bottom of the ears. I had to improvise and did it in a way that is a little dangerous to be honest and won't share that part as to not lead anyone to loose a finger. If I ever decide to make my own ears again i'll get the correct cutting tool.

I didn't ask you over at FX-Sabers (JudgeSabersmith, btw), but you did the hilt out of the shroud material, right? I noticed the thickness of your material is thinner than the MHS parts. Regardless, you've built an awesome saber and I am sure you will get a lot of "oohs" and "aahs" at the movie when you take it.

very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    I didn't ask you over at FX-Sabers (JudgeSabersmith, btw), but you did the hilt out of the shroud material, right? I noticed the thickness of your material is thinner than the MHS parts. Regardless, you've built an awesome saber and I am sure you will get a lot of "oohs" and "aahs" at the movie when you take it.
    Hi Judge. Yes I thinned out the shroud material quite a bit. It actually runs all the way to the rubber grips. I Don't know if you can see in the pictures but its one piece of shroud material that has the first section lathed down ( I don't remember exact amount I took out but its between 1/3 to 1/2 of its original thickness is taken out). Its seemed the best aesthetically to give me the illusion of the clamp section and not thin out the top section too much. And thank you for the compliment!
    Last edited by snilam; 12-10-2015 at 12:18 AM.

That's a beautiful saber.

I'd be very careful wearing rings while carrying that one. It would suck to scratch up that lovely finish.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Awesome looking faux graflex, especially the emitter, very well done!

Gorgeous work! I hope mine comes out half as nice, lol!

The more I look at this saber the more I like it. It is simple and sleek but detailed and thought through... Every part of this saber has shows a great saber smith in his element. Very nice job!