Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12w LED + Nano Biscotte Problem

Default 12w LED + Nano Biscotte Problem

I have attempted to wire a saberforge 12w LED to a Nano Biscotte V2 (using the PEX hack). When the LED is unplugged it works great, but when plugged in there is a large amount of static coming from the speaker. Sometimes the swing sounds will repeat over and over again. Does anyone have insight on this issue? Also, the resistors I am using for the LED are the ones saberforge have installed. Battery is 3.7v Panasonic 18650.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue:
    http://youtu.be/WRJsFmZUrZM

Pictures of the wiring have been attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Circles; 12-04-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Welcome to the Forums.

The problem you have is not surprising given the facts as you have stated them. The "PEX hack"? What/How exactly did you do the "hack" and what were you trying to accomplish?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you for your response!
    The "PEX hack" is required when one uses a 12w LED with the Nano Biscotte. If I am not correct, the transistor from the Power Extender gets wired to the transistor on the soundboard, so the led is using the PEX transistor instead. The Nano Biscotte can't power a 12w led so the hack is required. There are some others that have successfully done this numerous times, noteabley (youtuber) Shameem.

I am aware of what the "hack" is suppose to accomplish.

Basically people are trying to make the NB "do more" than it is suppose to (or more accurately - designed to), and the side effects you are experiencing are the result. Offhand, I would say that the resistor you (or whomever) used isn't "strong enough" for your purposes.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Could it be possible that both transistors are combining? Resulting in the need for a larger resistor. Right now the led is resisted for a 3.7v battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Circles View Post
    Could it be possible that both transistors are combining? Resulting in the need for a larger resistor. Right now the led is resisted for a 3.7v battery.
    OR whomever did the resistor calculations, did them wrong. Given the LED you are using and where you got it from, that would be my suspicion.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Did my own bit of digging, and if you're going to insist on trying the hack, this appears to be the recommended diagram:

connectpowerextendertoNBv2likeso.jpg

I'm going to guess that where you're currently wired up runs into the audio circuit, causing the static.

Also mentioning that this is just what I've found - I haven't tried this myself, nor do I intend to. I'd personally prefer a board that can handle the 3-4A of current a quad-cree like yours would be asking for.

Yeah, I was going to do it that way, but was too weary since it's so small. I'm going to try it though and if that doesn't work, I'll look into different resistors. I'll repost my findings; thank you all for your help! This is my first saber build.

You might want to consider scrapping the 12W and using a Tri-Cree, Just 2 of the Tri-Crees (without any "hacks") would probably be brighter than the LED you currently have.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I'm definitely going to try the Tri-Cree for my next saber, but I want to try and work out the 12w. I just rewired the led according to the diagram and nothing changed. I am now going to attempt to figure out if it is a resistor problem. I understand finding the right resistor for a single LED, but how would I go about finding a resistor for 4 LEDs in parallel?