Thread: First time builder, LED not working?

Unhappy First time builder, LED not working?

Hey everyone,

So this is my first time building a saber. Before I started soldering things together like crazy, I just wanted to make sure things worked. I have a battery holder for 4xAA batteries. I ghetto-twisted a 2.7ohm resistor to the positive lead. Now, my background isn't in this sort of newfangled technology, but I assumed that when I touched the leads on the LED with the wires, it was supposed to turn on. The thing is, they don't. I got one of the tri-color LEDs, if that makes a difference.

My only thoughts are, maybe the contact points aren't big enough so I HAVE to solder everything together (which is what I'm hoping) or I somehow ended up with a dead LED (which I'm really hoping isn't the case). Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the Forums.

We could need to see a couple of good high quality pictures of your setup so far. Sounds like you might not be touching the right points.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The correct pads for the leds on the tri-stars are on either side of the led you are trying to test. It sounds like FJK is correct and you're simply touching the wrong pads.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Oh dear. You guys were absolutely right. I was on the totally wrong pads. I was touching the two pads that were next to each other. When I touched the ones on either side, it worked fine. Thanks guys