Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snilam's Frankenflex

Default Snilam's Frankenflex

hello everyone! First of all I would like to say the contest was a blast, and it was awesome seeing everyone's creations. See all the variety in builds showed a lot of ingenuity from everyone. Congratulations to all the winners, it is truly deserved and look forward to seeing more from you.

My Entry was called Frankenflex mostly since it was inspired from a graflex. The idea came to me when I heard someone say that the new Kylo Ren saber was actually vader's saber that had been salvaged (debatable). Well after seeing the first trailer and seeing how prestine luke's saber was I thought that would not have been the case. Although reportedly it was supposedly floating around space It would not have been prestine. So I thought of a graflex that would have been found kinda banged up but not badly, and reconstructed. So That's why I made vents on the CC because it would have heating issues and need some venting. I also thought the box and clamp would have been knocked off not to mention I find boxes uncomfortable. I thought the top piece would have been split in half by whoever trying to fix it to get to the inside and made a new section and put the old hilt around it because they were trying to make it look how it was before. The bottom hilt section would have been bashed pretty hard from the fall from luke's hand and was totally replaced, might have also been when the clamp section was destroyed too.

But anyway pics:
    Also I went back and changed a few minor things after the contest submission.

original pics:

New Pics of hilt with CC cover on:
    Ribs by the switch were milled away. I kept confusing them for the switch when I tried activating when not looking at the button. Also the bunny ears are notched at the bottom and the area around the switch was redone.

With the bottom shroud off showing chamber. Also I mounted my 2 speakers, a premium and a bass speaker, In the chamber. The bass speaker above and the premium below. This saber is loud!!! Also has a nice visual effect on the chamber. It was tough getting it all in there but it worked out. I have some build pics but it was on a phone I ran over . I'll try to salvage them later.

A few random closeup and chassis is nothing to write home about. holds my CF, CEX and 14500 4x 1600mah pack. All my electronics had to live in the 4 inch section since the CC speaker combo took up so much space.

short video of sound difference between single and dual speakers. Unfortunately it doesn't do the difference between the two justice.
    https://youtu.be/AqvLeg194wY

Thanks for taking a look!

Blog Entries

Ha! I guessed right. This was one of my favorites. Such a great saber. Nice work sir.

I've never been a fan of the graflex based sabers but I really liked this one. The dual speaker crystal chamber is really innovative and the overall design is very sleek and stylish. Super nice build that should have placed higher IMHO.

I really like this one (it was in my top five) A sleek design and it's great to read the concept behind it. Seems like you really nailed what you aimed for.
    Excellent work Snilam, looking forward to the next

I thought this was a cool one - a classic with a twist!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I really like this saber, was one of my favorites.
    There are just two things that bothered me a bit. The more or less stock bunny ears, I would have liked to see them more in the traditional graflex style, and the fake glass eye retention screw (I just don't like that one).
    Nevertheless a really cool saber with the right amount of classic design and a cool twist
    Last edited by Batosai; 10-27-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Really nice design. Two speakers? No wonder it's loud! Love the removable shroud.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

Cool saber. Kind of a modern looking Graflex. I like it =]
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

I love this one. Voted for it in the first round and flipped a coin in the second. It's beautiful how sleek it is.

What did you use for the crystal? The more spherical shape is an interesting and attractive alternative to the quartz and acrylic shards we usually see.

Nice saber. I like the crystal chamber. Sounds like you get the full dynamic range of the sounds fonts with the dual speakers.