Thread: Hello everyone...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello everyone...

I've been lurking around for a month or so, and I've decided this is something I need to accomplish. I'm very impressed with a lot of the work I've seen here (most notably Rob Petkau) so I signed on to begin the necessary research to pull this off at a level that will satisfy my creative urge. My day job is Technical Director for a solid-state pump controller/safety vacuum relief system manufacturer, and another hobby I've enjoyed for many years is custom R/C off-roading, so soldering and handling PCB's and wiring is second nature to me.
    I've been into knives and swords for most of my life, and around the same time that A New Hope was released I started making them myself. So I'm also comfortable with manipulating metals and using lathes and drill presses and whatnot.
    It was the concept of the lightsaber itself that made me a Star Wars fan to begin with, so after finding this forum and seeing what all you craftsmen have been doing, it's only natural that I would want to add this art to my list of accomplishments.

Here's a couple recent examples:

American Bowie. 5061 tool steel blade, Sambar Stag horn handle with Cherry and red phenolic spacers and brass fittings...

IMG_0060.jpg

A practice longsword. A blend of German and Italian influence. 3/16" 7005-T6 blade, steel cross-guard, aluminum lathe-turned pommel and oak grips pinned with steel...

IMG_0230 (1).jpg

Looking forward to a new and exciting learning experience and making my own custom lightsabers!! Thanks for having me...
    Last edited by MikeC13; 10-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.