Thread: battery pack

Default battery pack

Ok, here's my question, does anyone know how long the following battery packs would last with a petit crouton, color extender, tri cree (Red Green Royal Blue) two AV switches lit up and a bass speaker? Assuming worst case, all on, scenario.

7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack
    7.4v Li-ion 1600mAh 14500 Battery Pack
    7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack

My saber design is a bit long and I'm looking to shorten it but I don't want the saber to only last 2 minutes or something ridiculous. I'm pretty set on all the other components.

It partially depends how how much you drive your LED's. Assuming you pull 2A, it can range from 20-25 minutes, to 60-70.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

FJK's numbers are good. If you'd like to know how he got them, it's actually fairly simple.

Add up the mA of all your individual LEDs. Typically 1000mA for each of the Tri-Cree dice. If you're doing color blending, you're usually only using two at a time. The AV switch LEDs are usually around 20mA each. Then throw in about 350mA for the sound board itself. That gives you 2390mA for the whole saber.

Take the mAh of the battery pack and divide by 2390, and you'll get the estimated runtime in hours.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    FJK's numbers are good. If you'd like to know how he got them, it's actually fairly simple.

Add up the mA of all your individual LEDs. Typically 1000mA for each of the Tri-Cree dice. If you're doing color blending, you're usually only using two at a time. The AV switch LEDs are usually around 20mA each. Then throw in about 350mA for the sound board itself. That gives you 2390mA for the whole saber.

Take the mAh of the battery pack and divide by 2390, and you'll get the estimated runtime in hours.
    Thank you for the info. The board draw and av switch draw are really what I needed to know thank you so much for your help. Does the color extender add any mA to the mix?

The board draw and switch are "nominal" in the general scheme of things.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Thanks for that. It's very useful information.