Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello there!

Default Hello there!

Hello there!
    I am building my first lightsaber here and am kind of going out of my comfort zone, I have done soldering before but am not very comfortable with circuitry so hopefully you generous chaps could help me out

I have designed my saber with the designer:
    SaberBuilder_render.jpg
    The two chokes will have leather wrap and the furthest will have the switch guard going over the leather, I can drill this myself don't worry. My biggest worries are the circuitry side, I want the switch guard to house a purple 16mm switch and the charging plug, and I would be lying if i knew what i needed to make all this happen along with an mhsv1 royal blue led (purple?) (also batteries cant be shipped to me so I have chosen this one, good? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-6V-1200m...-/381293832472). Also the fact that the choke has a smaller inner diameter leaves me worrying that I wont have room for the battery, or the switch or anything else I need.
    Some advice on this subject would be greatly received, as I live in England I kind of want to get this right first time.

Thanks
    Lorenzo

Welcome

Another english here, so welcome to the saber community

you're like me, vaguely comfortable with electronics but not massively so... i'd recommend getting in touch with JQSabers... they stock batteries and bits, and can help you out with figuring it all out... very friendly people and they keep a good stock of batteries of most types... and they're uk based

http://www.jqsabers.com/batteries/

Welcome to the forums.
    If you want batteries in the UK, check out JQ Sabers. You may also find you could lower your costs
    The ship in bulk from TCSS and like TCSS, the offer great customer service

Welcome to the board

I'm not sure which switch box you have in mind but I think it will apply to most of them ...
    the idea of the switch box is to raise the switches enough so their depth doesn't hit the far inside of the tube and run the risk of grounding out (plus they look cool). By having your switch flush with the diameter of the hilt you lose the extra height for the switch, on top of that you are on top of a narrow part, with a smaller diameter. In short unless you raise your switch box back up quite a ways, you will not be able to fit it in at the first choke.

This is a stunt saber (no sound) right? because I think you have very little room inside for wires and battery. I don't want to pour cold water on a cool design, but maybe this should be your second saber and go with a different one for your first hilt.

Either way, take your time and enjoy making it.

I don't fully understand what you are trying to do with that box. Also, royal blue isn't purple, it's blue, just a deeper blue than regular blue.

You don't really have any good spot for a switch in that hilt. You could put one in the pommel but that's the only simple spot.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Wow, thanks for the help everyone, JQsabers will really save my butt.
    This is indeed a stunt saber, I was planning on using this switch guard ontop of the leather straps, to raise the switch enough, but it will only fit momentary switches and I know I will have to fit more electronics inside but I'm just not quite sure what and If it will fit. and If I fit another switch guard (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...le-2-P355.aspx) then it looks like I would just be able to fit this with a latching switch, but I would have to bend some of the prongs, and line the inside with some electrical tape:
    Untitled.jpg
    Also get ready for some pro ms paint skills as I share my vision
    Plans.jpg

For the purple LED, I guess I will have to get a custom Tri-cree LED and choose Red & 2 Royal Blues?
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 08-16-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: language

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MW...rter-P932.aspx

I guess that's it, 0.4" diameter, outside diameter of the choke is 1" so I think it will fit and I can use the shorter switch

Welcome to the Forums,

I'm a bit late to this, but your plans don't look practical at all (sorry), especially the switch box on a choke. If you are going to deal with JQ Sabers, I think you should talk to them about your design, and let them come up with something more workable, as what you have designed won't allow you to have sound.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Just my opinion here but I don't think what you're planning will work all that great. Are you planing on drilling through a leather wrap and then securing the box with a screw to said wrap, on choke sections? Seems to be more headache than it's worth.

Looks like from your rendering that the wrap will be more or less flush with the pommel and emitter. If that's the case ,why bother limiting your internal space with the chokes? You're not getting the form or the function of a choke in this design anyway. You can get a similar look with a normal double female extension or two and have way more room to play with.

By the way, chokes have an ID of 0.8" IIRC.

Edit: Looks like FJK beat me to the punch
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 08-16-2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: FJK is too quick

The point is to have the leather flush or slightly indented into the handle and I cant seem to find any other way in doing this, drilling holes through the leather shouldn't be too much of a problem and with an extra 0.4" of room to play with (thanks d_c) inbetween the latch converter, I am determined to pull this off, also I am not looking for a sound card, just the lighting in the blade and switch so all should be dandy

tea & scones guvna'
    thanks for the help everyone