Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy here ;)

Default New guy here ;)

Hey guys. Been reading some forums here and there and wanted to get on here and say hi since I just joined but I have basic questions. I have ben using the MHS builder and trying to make a saber. I got the body how I want it now the question remains. What do I get as far as electronics? I am planning on just using a carbon fiber blade adaptor so I don't really need electronics for blade purposes but I do want a lighted switch. What do I need to buy to just get a switch going? Im not savy on resistors and all that fun stuff but im a fast learner. The switch I want to use is this one: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/12...itch-P927.aspx - How do I go about getting what I need and the knowhow to get it working? Any help would be great and I appreciate it in advance. As far as the switch hole on the hilt itself, I chose the recessed 12mm AV switch hole style. would that be the right hole for this switch?

Hello there! Welcome to the forums
    Are you planning to use a sound board or will it be a lit stunt saber? If it's just a stunt then your choice of switch will require a momentary to latching converter. These switches also require an appropriate resistor for the led of the lit ring
    Your hole is correct
    There are many people here better 'qualified' to answer your questions but I, as always, would direct you to Madcow's tutorials on YouTube. Search Genesis custom sabers or TCSS. They definitely gave me the confidence to build my saber and now I'm itching to build my next one

Blog Entries

I'll second Greenie on the Madcow videos. Super helpful and can all be found here in the forums as well http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...utorial-Videos

Hey guys! I appreciate the info! As far as my saber, it's just for stunt purposes as I have my own sequel planned haha. The only electronics I would need would be for the switch light ring. I'll take a look at the videos and see what I can do! I appreciate it.

Welcome to the Forums.

If you are not going to have anything other than just the switch (and a battery), it should be easy to do. But first, you need to decide exactly what "electronics" you are going to have (if any) in the hilt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

If you are not going to have anything other than just the switch (and a battery), it should be easy to do. But first, you need to decide exactly what "electronics" you are going to have (if any) in the hilt.
    Just the lighted switch. No sound boards or leds for the blade.

So if you have the most basic idea of how to solder, you won't need any tutorial videos and you don't need to be electronics savvy. You need a battery, battery holder, a dynaohm resistor, the switch hole and the switch. You could use a 3.7v lithium battery or something like 2 AAs.

Switch.jpg

Just make sure you don't put the dynaohm in backwards. Battery + goes to dynaohm +
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    So if you have the most basic idea of how to solder, you won't need any tutorial videos and you don't need to be electronics savvy. You need a battery, battery holder, a dynaohm resistor, the switch hole and the switch. You could use a 3.7v lithium battery or something like 2 AAs.

Switch.jpg

Just make sure you don't put the dynaohm in backwards. Battery + goes to dynaohm +
    I appreciate that! yeah i was just looking at some tutorials and it seems easy enough. I am gonna attempt it! i know how to solder i just havent done it for awhile. but i have all the tools i should need.

Yeah just make sure you get wire and heat shrink if you don't already have it lying around. You also might want to figure a way to keep your battery from moving around inside the hilt.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

With that wiring diagram, the light on the switch will be on at all times. The LED on both the momentary and latching switches have their own leads and they are not affected by the switch's on/off position. However with a latching switch or with a momentary switch AND a momentary to latching converter (which is sold here at TCSS), one can wire it so that the switch button will control the light.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."