Thread: Questions Before Building (claws, blade windows, etc.)

Default Questions Before Building (claws, blade windows, etc.)

So I've been obsessing over the idea of building my own lightsaber since I was a kid. However, since discovering the saber parts builder by [redacted unnamed vendor], that low level obsession has become a frenzy. I'm trying to figure out a way to build a saber similar to the one I made in the builder with parts from the Custom Saber Shop and have been reading the forums for a few days now.

Question #1 - does the shop no longer sell emitter claws? I see the claw mount in the store, but no claws. If not, is there anywhere else to get them?

Question #2 - it is possible to have parts that extend past the emitter? The design I'm looking to build would have the blade somewhat exposed in the neck section. Is that possible with the parts in the store?

Question #3 - does anyone have experience with leather wrapping a hilt? I'm looking to do that and am wondering which main body would work best for that.

Thanks for any help or kind words you may have! I'm looking forward to building my first lightsaber.

Attached is a picture of the kind of thing I'm shooting for.

tmp_6939-Screenshot_2015-08-13-10-58-461428265407.jpg
    Last edited by PropheticFiver; 08-13-2015 at 09:05 AM.

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your questions:

1. No, claws haven't been sold for quite some time.
    2. The only thing that would "extend" past the emitter would be some type of shroud section, or some type of claw that you have made somewhere else.
    3. I'm sure others may have leather wrapping experience, I'll let them chime in.

Also, the "vendor" you mentioned is not discussed in these parts, just as a FYI.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 08-13-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Name redacted! Thanks for the heads up.

So there's no way to manage the claw style short of making them yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticFiver View Post
    Name redacted! Thanks for the heads up.

So there's no way to manage the claw style short of making them yourself?
    Pretty much.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

On the bright side, there is an incredible satisfaction in making the saber add-ons and modifying pieces yourself. Add to that the fact that there are some incredibly knowledgeable and incredibly helpful people online here everyday, I can solidly come down on the side of doing it your self. You don't need lathes or mills to do this, I started with a dremel, a hacksaw and several files as well as never having soldered before and I'm no expert, but the fun of learning the new skills as well the satisfaction of having something at the end that one did oneself is priceless. Jump on in and start reading, the journey (and the water) are fine

It depends how deep you want to wade, but you could possibly achieve something like that by using one of the double male slotted extensions or maybe some custom slots in a 2 or 3 inch double female (so it mates with the male thread of the BH) with a piece of polyc blade held between chassis discs and lit with an accent led. Much like a crystal chamber
    Just a though

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticFiver View Post
    So I've been obsessing over the idea of building my own lightsaber since I was a kid. However, since discovering the saber parts builder by [redacted unnamed vendor], that low level obsession has become a frenzy. I'm trying to figure out a way to build a saber similar to the one I made in the builder with parts from the Custom Saber Shop and have been reading the forums for a few days now.

Question #1 - does the shop no longer sell emitter claws? I see the claw mount in the store, but no claws. If not, is there anywhere else to get them?

Question #2 - it is possible to have parts that extend past the emitter? The design I'm looking to build would have the blade somewhat exposed in the neck section. Is that possible with the parts in the store?

Question #3 - does anyone have experience with leather wrapping a hilt? I'm looking to do that and am wondering which main body would work best for that.

Thanks for any help or kind words you may have! I'm looking forward to building my first lightsaber.

Attached is a picture of the kind of thing I'm shooting for.

tmp_6939-Screenshot_2015-08-13-10-58-461428265407.jpg
    #1 - If you want claws, you could probably find a local machine shop and bring them a pattern to cut out for you. If not that, you could 3D model your own and 3D print them.

#2 - In the design you posted, it's not that parts are extending past the emitter, necessarily. That design has a blade socket which is over 3" deep with windows right above the LED module. You could potentially get something similar to that Venom emitter with a Blade Holder blank 2, but it wouldn't be simple.

#3 - If it were me, I would probably wrap leather around an MHS v2 extension for the grip with v1/v2 adapters on the ends. Having the reduced OD to wrap the leather on would help the wrap sit flush with rest of the hilt. I think it would look more elegant that way.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.