Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Second Saber "Vindicare" sitll in design stage

Anyone know how I should go about making the claws? I have little experience when it comes go cutting metals.

I PM'd you.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Ok so i think i have a final design for the saber. Not sure of the color yet but i got carried away on my paint program. the claws are still a rough design but the final design will be very similar to these, again not sure of the color. Hope you like. Oh and yes i kept the 2" double female since the recharge port will be in the pommel leaving me plenty of room. I may even add an accent light in the pommel to match the blade who knows.

Vindicare123.jpg

Total length(no claws) 9 inch
    with claws estimated 11 inch
    Last edited by Thalan the Exiled; 08-14-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Well, building the claws isn't too bad: You need a hack saw (or a dremel type tool with a ceramic cutting wheel. Don't get the little metal wheels that look like buzzsaws: they have a nasty habit of becoming shrapnel), a pattern that you make, probably best with graph paper and then make a copy for each claw and place it on your handy piece of aluminum and cut out the rough shapes, then files and sand paper to fine-tune the shapes of each claw and then the tricky part: drilling and tapping the claws so you can fit them on. If you want to look at one of the masters of the "build it yourself with minimal tools and maximum imagination", see if you can find Eastern57's threads on the board. They are incredibly useful. Really like the evolution of the design!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Oh that was quite the change! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Ok I got the claw design set and drawn out on paper. The last pic is pretty much dead on. Probable gonna be 1/4" thick and mounted with 4-40 screws. I think I am going to find myself a company that can make them for me(as long as the cost is low enough). I also thought about making them out of something other than aluminum. Like maybe polycarbonate or acrylic. This is going to be a show saber so I don't need to worry about breakage due to impacts. I just don't know if I can paint either of those easily. I think the cost would be less since I have the tools to cut those. Wish ibcould find some black polycarbonate sheets. Guess I will have to put the google-fu to work.
    Last edited by Thalan the Exiled; 08-14-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Does anyone happen to know the exact size of the space above and below the holes on this blade holder. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...le-4-P247.aspx
    from the picture i am guessing the lower is around .5" and the upper is around .25". but i need the exact size so i can get my claws right. I messaged Tim but i know he is a busy man and cant always reply quickly. so i thought i would ask here as well

You can find 'scrap' aluminium just about anywhere........when you look for it

image.jpg

LOL nice. so i have been bored and playing around some more. i just cant help myself. i think i might go with black Polycarbonate to save on some weight and i can get a sheet for like $20. but now i have yet again re-worked the claw design. i think for the last time. i am just waiting on the exact measurements so i can start a full render in 3d. but here is a simple pic. this one is my favorite.

Vindicareremastered.jpg

With a Red/Orange blade i think it will look wicked.

How do you plan on securing these things?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com