Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Finally, Greenie delivers the goods

Excellent job on this; I love all the shroud work.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Excellent job on this; I love all the shroud work.

Thanks Starwinder. I really like the emmitter shroud as it echoes the flutes on the hilt. It looks nicer than the plain tube I used initially but then etched and didn't like

Wow, that's slick. Nice one.

I love your design, Greenie.

Would you be willing to share how you made the cross guard? I'm trying to scrounge materials to create a similar effect, and found your design in the process! Is that custom work, or were you able to source it from COTS parts?

Quote Originally Posted by CBNathanael View Post
    I love your design, Greenie.

Would you be willing to share how you made the cross guard? I'm trying to scrounge materials to create a similar effect, and found your design in the process! Is that custom work, or were you able to source it from COTS parts?
    Thank you for your comment and yeah, I can share
    After sourcing some scrap aluminium, I cut out discs of decreasing sizes using various hole saws. Then I secured each one individually on a bolt to allow me to put it in my cordless drill to clean them up with sandpaper of increasing grits and wire wool ( one hand on the trigger the other on the sandpaper. Mind the friction). Once they were relatively 'shiny' I bolted them all together.
    image.jpg this was Mk1
    Next, I filed the whole lot down to a taper.
    image.jpg this is Mk2
    I added two more discs, for a top and bottom.
    image.jpg
    And then it gets tricky. While all still bolted together I drilled and tapped them (the bottom disc was thick enough to not drill right through and still allow me to tap it). But as it is only about 5mm thick (ID to OD) I had to drill close to where my centre hole would be.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Once this was done I removed the second from bottom disc and bolted the rest back together to drill them through the centre with a 38mm hole saw. With a little extra filing the whole thing fits nicely over the OD of MHSv1
    I then used a smaller hole saw (35mm I think) to cut out the centre of the disc I removed. Again, with a little filing it fits nicely over the male thread like a trim ring does. I screwed all discs back together so that the whole thing locks between two MHS parts. I cut the screws off as close as possible and then ground them flush with a dremmel. Gave it a final clean up with fine grit, wire wool and metal polish. Yeah, you can see the lines of each disc but I expected that and you can see the screws flush on top. I hoped the emmitter shroud would hide them but you can still see 'em
    It's not perfect but it's exactly as I imagined when I came up with the idea and I basically made it with a cordless drill.

A few more pics to add to my explaination

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Ideally, i would like to have made it from one piece of aluminium but that may have needed a lathe, which I did not have at the time. Anyway, that's basically it. Hope this all makes sense and I hope it helps or sparks ideas. Any questions, just ask

Well done. The etched shroud piece is an excellent touch. I'm gonna have to break out my battery charger, that looks amazing.

Great job on the guard. I admire your persistence, you got what you wanted even though you had to approach it from a different direction...

Pretty brilliant way of getting that done without a lathe. So what if you can see the individual disks, awesome work on a low tech budget!

Thank you all for the praise. I do like solving problems, even If I'm the one that creates them lol