Thread: FOC resistor

Default FOC resistor

This is for all of those who are using 7.4v batteries for thier PC or Cf.

I have done the calculations for a white FOC die using a 7.4v battery and im getting 4.7ohm 4 watt resistor but I having a hard time finding a resistor with 4 watts.

I wanted to know what others are using with their 7.4v setups and what works for them. Is there another resistor out there that works and is easier to find?

I appreciate the input everyone...thanks!

The wattage is a minimum, most use the 4.7Ohm, 5W resistor found in the store. 4W resistors are a little rare.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

how about a 4.7ohm 1watt with 1% tolerance or 4.7ohm 2watt with 5% tolerance? thats what I could find on mouser.com, im trying to use the 2512 SMD footprint
    Last edited by Wickedreamz; 08-07-2015 at 09:06 AM.

If memory serves, erv has recommended against using anything larger than a 2watt resistor on the CF/PC pex's due to the heat they generate. You might be better off bridging the pads and using an off-board resistor if you need that mush heat dissipation.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    If memory serves, erv has recommended against using anything larger than a 2watt resistor on the CF/PC pex's due to the heat they generate. You might be better off bridging the pads and using an off-board resistor if you need that mush heat dissipation.
    ^This

do you guys recommend i use a 4.7ohm 2watt with 5% tolerance then? BTW im using a off board power extender meaning a PC 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedreamz View Post
    do you guys recommend i use a 4.7ohm 2watt with 5% tolerance then? BTW im using a off board power extender meaning a PC 2.0
    No, I definitely don't recommend that. The values you get from your resistor calculations are the MINIMUM values you should use.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com