Thread: Lens holder and optics question

Default Lens holder and optics question

Hi,

perhaps somebody with some experience can comment on this. I have a LEDengin RGBW 10W and this plastic lens holder and 8.7 collimator lens. But somehow I don't think these go together very well.

First of all the holder doesn't fit inside my heatsink module, it's smaller in diameter. I read somewhere on here that it's OK, you just have to screw the copper part all the way in it can go and it will press it and hold steady. I can see how that would work but the thing is that white plastic holder and the shape of my LED don't match very well. It's next to impossible to find that one perfect spot where maybe just maybe that could work. In reality it just doesn't. At least it doesn't for me. And I haven't even soldered the vires so that's another factor that will likely throw everything off balance.

As it seems my parts are not a good match, another question arises. What's the optimal distance between the lens and LED die to get the best possible beam of light? Surely it matters?

Not sure how popular LEDengines are these days and I don't see them in the store anymore. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

If I take the lens out of the holder it fits nicely over the dome. In that case I'd need to manufacture a different holder. But not sure if it's a good idea to have them so close together because of 2 things. One is light focusing and the other could be heat.

LEDEngins were phased out a while back because there are "better options" out there (Tri Crees). You can get that white holder to work, though it will take some effort and some patience.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yeah, I could just order a "better option" I suppose. But then again I don't fancy paying $45 shipping costs for something that costs half that much or less. That would make it $100 delivered to my doorstep after taxes and VAT for a holder and a new LED. If I ever do another bulk order then sure, no problem. But even my first saber is still only parts in bags so perhaps I should just try to put that one together somehow.

Well, as Luminara on FX and I have both told you, it can work, you'll just have to work at it a bit.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by primi View Post
    Yeah, I could just order a "better option" I suppose. But then again I don't fancy paying $45 shipping costs for something that costs half that much or less. That would make it $100 delivered to my doorstep after taxes and VAT for a holder and a new LED. If I ever do another bulk order then sure, no problem. But even my first saber is still only parts in bags so perhaps I should just try to put that one together somehow.
    Just an FYI, TCSS does offer lower cost shipping options for smaller items, just email Tim and ask.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks, will see what I can do then.