Thread: Could someone double check these parts before I place my order?

Default Could someone double check these parts before I place my order?

Hey everyone, thanks for checking in. I've double checked the numbers, but I'd appreciate it if a fresh set of eyes confirmed these items.

-4AAA battery holder(6v DC)
    -Luxeon Rebel Star (Amber) (171lm @ 700mA 3.2v - Run at 700mA)
    8deg lens + holder
    -4.7ohm 5w resistor
    -Heatsink module for 1" ID tubes
    Star thermal tape pad
    -1" Thin walled Trans White PolyC 40" long
    bullet tip

Screenshot of cart for good measure

I'm mostly concerned about the resistor for the Rebel. I used the calculator here, as well as another calculator.
    The one here recommends a 2.2ohm, but is calculating for a 1400mA current.
    The offsite recommends a 4.7ohm when I input a 700mA current.

Is there anything I've missed or anything that I'm reading wrong? Thanks very much.

Do you already have a switch? You will need it...

Yeah, I have one of the $3 on/off switches in my cart.

The things in your cart look ok to me. I will warn you that 4AAA batteries will not last too long in your saber. You may want to consider a 3.7V Li-Ion solution that would : 1. give you a longer run time and 2. require a smaller resistor.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That does seem like a good idea, but I'm worried about the safety of using a li-ion battery. What would I need to add to make sure it doesn't catch fire or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Esuka View Post
    That does seem like a good idea, but I'm worried about the safety of using a li-ion battery. What would I need to add to make sure it doesn't catch fire or anything?
    Keep it away from a blow torch, or a lit oven, or volcanoes, and don't try to cut one open. lol. Li-ions are quite safe, as long as you use some basic common sense.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 07-27-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ok, I did a little reading up and found a battery and charger that I like. So using a 3.7v, 2200 mA li-ion battery, the new calculation is 1ohm, 1+W for the resistor. Does that seem right?

Yes a 1 Ohm, 1W would do for that LED. The plus is you would get around 3 hours of runtime out of it, as opposed to a very limited runtime with AAA's.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Sounds great. Thanks very much for catching that. I'll get these parts ordered soon, and hopefully have something to show by next week. Thanks guys.