Thread: Focus Crystal Lighting

Default Focus Crystal Lighting

I'm still working on my first lightsaber, and as such I haven't done any of the innards yet. I want to have a focus crystal chamber. I've ordered an acrylic crystal but I'm not sure what parts I'll need to light the crystal. I imagine some sort of low output led, but I'm completely new to all of this and thoroughly lost.

Any suggestions on parts?

Edit: I plan on having a white blade, if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by CET; 07-08-2015 at 11:25 PM.

From what I've seen most people use 5mm LEDs to light crystal chambers. I'm sure you can find a few white ones around the interwebz (I normally go to SparkFun for my various electronics needs if I can't find something locally). Your bigger concern will be how to actually mount the crystal in whatever chassis you're planning on building. FJK did a great video on building a basic crystal chamber here: http://youtu.be/ORH7FRFVBLg. If you have access to a lathe and/or other machining equipment, you could turn your own pieces (you can see the two I did here: http://imgur.com/c6z7EdW). You're really only limited by your imagination here!

Do you think something like this would work for lighting the crystal? I'm guessing that a low output led would be best, because it's a small crystal, and it'll have less impact on now much juice it requires. Again, I'm brand new to this, so I'm still fumbling around quite a bit.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Wh...ova-P1003.aspx

I checked out your crystals, very cool! I don't have any machines, so my ability to manufacture are next to nil. I liked how the guy in the video you posted used things like coaxial connectors to make his crystal chamber.

No. As was recently mentioned, 5mm LEDs are the way to go for Crystal Chamber lighting.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That one didn't seem to say what size it was, just output and juice requirements. That's part of what's throwing me off with getting parts, the specs don't seem to be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    That one didn't seem to say what size it was, just output and juice requirements. That's part of what's throwing me off with getting parts, the specs don't seem to be complete.
    Those are for the main blade. An accent LED would be more this size: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Re...ator-P113.aspx
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Just look up some high brightness / ultra bright 5mm LEDs. They aren't hard to find. They will do the trick.

Here's an example. It's just a high brightness, orange 5mm LED in that chamber. I think they cost me like $0.60 each.
    Epiphany 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    Just look up some high brightness / ultra bright 5mm LEDs. They aren't hard to find. They will do the trick.

Here's an example. It's just a high brightness, orange 5mm LED in that chamber. I think they cost me like $0.60 each.
    Epiphany 1.jpg
    Nice!

Thanks.