Thread: Crystal focus 7.5 and Cex wiring diagram

Default Crystal focus 7.5 and Cex wiring diagram

Hey all. So I just purchased a CF 7.5, Cex, and tri-cree xp-e2 RGrB. I have been looking and looking but have not been able to find a wiring diagram for the crystal focus and cex for a color mixing setup. I have downloaded the manual from plecter and read it cover to cover, and the wiring diagram in there confuses me a little, as it isn't exactly clear which colors are wired to which channels. I also plan to use a 5mm RGB LED for my crystal chamber to match the blade color. Does anyone know of a diagram that is easy to read that I can take a look at? It would be so very helpful. Two basic things I am looking for:

Which colors should be wired to which channels?

Where should the signal be grabbed for the 5mm led? From the Cex where it powers the main LEDs than using the proper resistors??

Sorry guys for sounding like a Noob. Done plenty of wiring, just not an RGB saber yet.

The colors can be wired to any of the three channels, just as long as you wire the colors for the 5mm LED the same as the primary. I have a diagram for my PC3.5 + CEx + 5mm LED, which is basically the same set up.
    See the diagram here.
    So, for simplicity's sake, what I did was wire the red die to the on-board LED driver (we'll call it channel 1), then the green and blue dies on CH1 and CH2 of the CEx respectively. The 5mm LED's green and blue can be powered by the PWM lead going from the CF to the CEx. The lead for the 5mm's red though is a little trickier. There's a spot near the Ch2 pad where you can grab the PWM signal for the CF's on-board LED driver.
    See that spot here.

Boom. You're awesome. That all makes perfect sense. So no resistors for main LEDs when using the CEx? Just for the 5mm LEDs?

What kind of runtime are you getting from that 1400mah pack??

That's right, it will regulate the current same as the CF's onboard driver will. For the 5mm it will depend on the forward voltage of the LED compared to the 3.3V output of the accent/ch pads. I don't have resistors on the green and blue of mine since the FV is 3.2V, but I do for the red since it's 2.0V.

I don't know yet, I haven't been able to get it all together yet. I'm still waiting on a couple pieces to be restocked before I can do more work on it.

Wouldn't the current be too high for the 5mm led regardless of voltage if the led was grabbing off the same signal as the blade led? I know they run up to 20ma, but that blade LED is up to 1,000ma.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    Wouldn't the current be too high for the 5mm led regardless of voltage if the led was grabbing off the same signal as the blade led? I know they run up to 20ma, but that blade LED is up to 1,000ma.
    Only if you were grabbing it from the same exact source (which you aren't - I hope).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

What FJK said. The PWM signal coming from the board doesn't go high enough to blow the 5mm. That kind of current output comes from the main LED pad pairs on the CEx and the main LED pad pair on the CF.

Okay so correct me if I am wrong. Am I to understand that the wires coming from the CF and going to the CEx (in example, channel 2, channel 3) are simply controlling the CEx and not actually carrying the current, which comes into the CEx via the wires from the main pos and Neg, meaning I can safely wire the 5mm led into the channels on the CF as they leave to head for the CEx?

Does that make sense??

That's exactly correct, on all counts.

Awesome! You have been extremely helpful. I thank you sincerely. The diagram Plecter has in the manual makes perfect sense now. You rock bro.