Thread: V3 Heatsink?

Default V3 Heatsink?

I was just wondering how far into the rest of the hilt the v3 Heatsink goes. I want to put av switch in the segment below it and don't know if i'll have the room and need to buy a v4 Heatsink.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

I don't have an exact measurement but if you look at it on the MHS builder, the threads/heat sink look like they extend about 1 1/8" into the hilt.

The heatsink itself is about 1/2" long under its threads, but Miraluka has it right - plan for 1.25" in the end of whatever piece your working with to be reserved for the heatsink (you don't want your pieces right up against it, that defeats the purpose of the heatsink dissipating heat away from your internals!). If you're planning on just mounting 1 AV switch there, you should probably look at a 3"+ section to go below the emitter so that you have enough room. More than that if you want to use an activation box. One of the builds I'm working on right now has AB 14 mounted on a 4" extension right below the heatsink, for reference.

Alright, awesome.

I' musing two AVs, but I'm gonna try to put them as close together as possible. Anyone know how close together Tim can make the recessed AV holes?
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

Strictly speaking he can put them as close or far from each other as you want them. That being said, the distance will depend on the size of the switch, both button diameter and switch depth. You may be able to mount two short 16mm at a 90-degree angle from each other, but I would do some math to be sure. You don't want to get too crowded in there.

I'm just doing one above the other so nothing radical. A 16mm short on the bottom and 12mm on top...might have to rework that tho...

Btw, thanks dialler, you've been a great help!
    Last edited by TheSilverDark; 06-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.

No problem You may be able to fit both of those on a 3" piece with the heatsink, depending on how far into the extension the HS actually goes. I say that because, even though the HS is .5" long, it may screw into its housing enough that the distance it sticks into the extension is shortened (I didn't think of that until this morning). It'll just take some experimentation on your part haha

Ok thanks

Doing the math the two switches, on directly above the other is 1.1 inches. Subtracting that and 1.25 from the extension for the Heatsink, as well as the threads, which I think are .5 inches (I'm using the slotted double male, I'm not sure how long the threads are for the chassis) I should have a little less than a quarter inch of wiggle room
    Last edited by TheSilverDark; 06-12-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Allow 1/2" on each end for threading.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If you are using a tri led the heatsink screwes further in giving you more room. This is because the lens for them is shorter. I don't have an exact measurement but on mine the sink only sticks out about 1/2 inch. This makes for a bucnh more room. Maybe someone else will have more info on this.