Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very first saber - completed

Default Very first saber - completed

This is my very first saber build and has been about four years in the design and two months in the building. I haven't named it, but I guess I'd call it Obsession because that's what it's been ever since I discovered the saber scene and the Crystal Focus soundcard. It's based heavily on the Hasbro Obi-Wan saber that I bought back then, but that was after going through about 100 different designs in my head. Built from MHS parts with the combo choke and gear sections powder coated in black wrinkle. I custom fabricated the shroud and faux clamp from inch and a half copper pipe. I machined, hand fit and detailed the faux switchbox from some rectagular copper stock I had laying around. Both copper pieces are patinated using mashed hard boiled eggs and finished with 6 coats of satin polyurethane. I finished off the switchbox with a cover I cut from an old modem circuit board. Switching is done in something like a Madcow style, or at least my interpretation of it. Right now the buttons are some nylon from a toilet seat bolt that I turned down to fit my access holes. The main LED makes them glow fairly well, but I might change that in the future. The kill key is also custom made from the nylon bolt, with a small gear from the tuning peg of a guitar topped off with a small polished garnet for an accent. Still playing around with the different blade colors and it sounded great until the speaker got blown somehow. I'm scrambling to find a replacement speaker as Tim is out of stock at the moment. Using the fonts that came with the Crystal Focus for now, but I'll be updating some of those as soon as I can get a new speaker. The blade is a battle blade straight from TCSS with a bullet tip and a quad wrap which I'll be adding some cellophane to eventually. That's pretty much the build story, now onto the specs and a few shots of the exterior. I might add some interior shots later.

Crystal Focus 7.5 with Color Extender
    Tri Rebel Royal Blue/Red/Green
    18500 1400mAh Battery Pack

QJ

A fine looking saber. That's something to be proud of.

The nylon switches look a little out of place to me. They're too clean looking. Maybe a bit of paint/grime on them will make them fit in.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yea really nice man!
    I can light a small city with my board

very nice!

Nice work!

Lovely saber! I really like the patina on the copper. Great to see it's preserved that way. The green detail is pretty cool too.

Very nice with a classic feel to it! Love the color scheme!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I adore "used" sabers. This is excellent.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Thanks for all the positive feedfback and comments. As I said, those nylon buttons were bothering me, so I turned up a couple new ones out of brass, put a nice crown on them and weathered them up a bit. They look so much better than the nylon.

I agree. The new buttons match up with the rest of the saber much better. Good job!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!