Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total noob

Default Total noob

Hi guys, so i literally found out that dueling sabers are a thing last week, and well lets say im very interested in this for prop/costume purposes.

So after having a look around on the web i found Saberforge, they looked amazing brilliant sabers but pricy... then i heard about poor build quality on the electronics and the like.

So i figured as long as the hilt is well built and fits the aesthetic i want i can build it myself, So my plan is to buy the Venomous Fury hilt from saberforge, then use all the info from this forum and parts from the custom saber store to build it up myself spreading the cost as i can afford it.

So big question is, has anyone else bought a bare hilt from saberforge and built the innards themself? i would like it to be able to do everything the saberforge soundboard can do if possible.

Well, we don't discuss them around here, for reasons you've already learned. Check out the MHS builder http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...r.php?tabid=38 and you can design your own saber (either similar to what you've seen, or completely different!).

Then you can add your own electronics to it. There are several different soundboards available here, and they're all excellent boards with a variety of features.

Plus, it's just plain more FUN to do it yourself.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yeah DONT go with those people. You would be better off doing like the post above said and looking at ghe MHS builder. You can come up with some really awesome sabers and they will more than likely cost less and be bette quality. And you can buy all th. Items you need from one place. Also there is plenty of help here on the forums if you have any concerns. Also if you need custom thing done Tim is very good at what he does and can probably accomedate your needa.

Welcome to the Forums.

As others have mentioned, that company isn't discussed around here. You can get parts from this store and "do it yourself".
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

What is the average saber length? Ive made one up on the MHS but its 16.56 inches long and that seems too big,

That would be a bit long. But mine is 14.5" long and works perfectly as a two hander or can be use aith one as well. If you have big hands then 16" wouldn't be to big I guess. I would try to stay around 14" for 2 hand and probably 10" for one handed. but that is just my opinion.

Usually around 11-13".
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

saber.jpg Thats the saber design, tried to make a rough match to the Venomous Fury saberforge hilt. Im guessing i could quite easily take 2-3" off the main body then re-thread it and that will bring it down to a more reasonable size

Quote Originally Posted by Crossy View Post
    saber.jpg Thats the saber design, tried to make a rough match to the Venomous Fury saberforge hilt. Im guessing i could quite easily take 2-3" off the main body then re-thread it and that will bring it down to a more reasonable size
    Just use a smaller extension piece, instead of the 7" hilt. I don't know how you're going to "re thread" it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

ahh yeah, didnt think to use another extension piece, got it to 12.56 inchs