Thread: What is going on with my power source?

Default What is going on with my power source?

Hey! So, I've been trying to get my lightsaber working for a while now. Everything is doing its job but the power. The LED, sound, and switch all work. When it was plugged in, the switch would blink, so I thought it was wired correctly. But it didn't turn on unless it was only half plugged via my RICE port style 2. But it never got power when plugged in after a very long time. The light on the charger was always green, so I thought I might have mixed up the TXD and RXD on the RICE port, so I reversed them. Now the charger actually goes red when plugged in... usually. Sometimes it still stays green. So, I thought that was better. But it still only works when half plugged in. When I unplug it, it has nothing. Also, even though the light says that it's actually charging now, it no longer blinks when it's plugged in. That can't be right, can it? Shouldn't it blink while charging? But it only does when it's wired in such a way that it won't charge...

One 18650 battery
    One RICE port style 2
    One Nano Biscotte
    One momentary red dot AV switch
    One deep red LED
    One premium speaker

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Maybe I am not reading this correctly but what does your rice port have to do with charging? That is what a recharge port would be for.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I agree with Strydur. NB's don't support RICE, and RICE ports are not usually used as recharge ports.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Shoot! I thought it could support a charge!

No, they are two different things. RICE ports are for making adjustments to the board's settings and recharge ports are for charging the battery. That's not to say you couldn't use the rice port as a recharge port, but you'd have to wire it to the battery, not what you think is the rice pads on the soundboard. RICE ports as wired in the PC 3.x manual cannot act as both recharge and RICE ports.

Edit:
    I would also add that using RICE port as a recharge port is not the recommend merhod, since the RICE ports do not have a shunt built in to kill power to the board during charging which could result in the charge current running through the board. That has the potential to damage your board, so avoid using a RICE port for charging if you can.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 12-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.