Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Episode 7 Lightsaber

Default Episode 7 Lightsaber

I reckon quite a few of you have seen the EP7 trailer and I wanted to know your opinion on the new hilt design. I find it to look quite comical and impractical. Maybe we'll see setups with three leds to power the hilt portion.

STAR-WARS-TEASER_612x380.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Evilpancreas; 11-28-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Honey, you've been looking for love in Alderaan places!

I got to be honest here, I hate that saber. I hate it with a passion bordering on insanity, lol. I have wielded swords with similar cross guards and constantly jammed the ends of the guard in my wrists when twirling. Not even super flexible twirling either. IMHO, it's impractical to even have a guard on it like that made of metal let alone energy that cuts flesh like a white-hot knife through room temperature butter. The guards should be 1; not a form of energy that causes harm to flesh, 2; not quite so freaking long and 3; angled up towards the blade more to further reduce the chance of impaling your wrists on them when twirling. Again, just my personal opinion on the matter.
    Last edited by ARKM; 11-28-2014 at 02:16 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Not just the guard but the blade as a whole is differrent. Looks less like a laser and more like a electrical blade or something. Its not a smooth beam like it should be. Owell im sure its only the beginning.....

I can't see this Sith keeping his fingers for very long

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    I can't see this Sith keeping his fingers for very long
    *FJK nods in agreement*
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It looks cool, but that's about the only thing good about it. The duels so far in the films seem to suggest that saber blades don't easily slide on each other when clashed anyway, so what's the point of this. You thought it would be hard to wield a saber staff without injuring yourself? This has got to be worse. I also don't know what's up with the blade looking like fire or something. Maybe it's a unique saber that's explained in the film somehow why it looks different. I hope they didn't mess with every saber in the film in this way.

I rather like the blade effects. While there wasn't anything wrong with how they have always been, I feel these effects convey a sense of power and intimidation a weapon with such a reputation as the lightsaber should convey

Maybe im just unwilling to change. I watched the trailer a couple more times and hate the blade more and more. Its a 'light'saber not a plasmasaber or energysaber, or electroflamingpowersaber. But maybe its just that particular lightsaber not all the sabers in the movie.

I have to say, I don't hate this. I'm learning German Longsword fencing, and you never really run into a problem hitting yourself with the cross guard (quillions), since this form is all function with no unnecessary spins or fancy hand work. The character's body posture seems to imply this, as well with a wide, strong, no nonsense stance. And looking closely at the screen capture, there looks to be a least a finger size emitter on the base of the small blades. This would prevent accidental hand slippage.

And hey, at least its not the Inquisitor's Spin-Saber.

They don't bother me but they do seem impractical. Even if the saber blades could slide during a clash, the emitters on the cross guard stick out an inch from the sides before the blade even begins. They would just get cut if the blade slide down, rendering them pointless. About the only thing I could see the side beams being useful for is if they could extend to full-length during a duel for a surprise element.

Of course it would be just like a Sith to put them on there just because they thought it looked cool/intimidating so I can't say they are out of place. We've seen Sith with way sillier and pointless sabers over the years.

The effects are kind of neat I guess. It may just be his saber that does the firey thing anyway, but if they all do that then I wouldn't be too bothered by it. Just hafta see I suppose.