Thread: Obi1's first MHS - Coruscant

Default Obi1's first MHS - Coruscant

I would like to share my first MHS saber "Coruscant" .

I choose the name to reflect that I got the main inspiration from the spires and towers of Coruscant, I aimed at building a hilt that is elegant in ist simplicity. I also knew I wanted to have a crystal chamber with one of the mountain crystals I collected Long ago with my grandpa in the mountains

SPECS
    PC v3, with single cell hack ("Vader OT" by Madcow, "Bespin" by Madcow, "Temple Guard" by Darth Xusia)
    Cree MC-E 4CT RGBW (Color changing)
    3.7v 18650 3400mAh single-cell battery
    Blue-Ring Anti-Vandal Switch
    2.1mm recharge port with kill key
    Crystal chamber with 5mm RGB LED (synchronised to Cree)

I made use of the single cell hack on the PC v3, sacrificing some sound juice, but making the saber color changing, actually it words like the Prizm (well, except that it has the 3 banks limitation to color selection, but I do not feel it a limitation at all).

Here we go with the pics:

Last but not least, I would like to express my deep gratitude for the community for the many ideas and inspirations which helped me create this saber. Oh ye, and Tim for the parts!!!

I hope you like it

Nice job! I really like the crystal chamber and the overall look with the shrouds!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I like the giant one-piece shroud. I especially like how the switch looks.
    It's always nice to see a modded Petit Crouton build. I never could notice the sound difference and the saved space makes it well worth it, I think.

Nice work, simple and sleek RGB!

Thanks a lot guys, I really appraciate your feedback!!!

@Yoshi-Taka: I am of the same opinion. Even though the hilt is long and sleek, I could barely fit all the components inside, so the pros of the hack more than overcompensate the single con of a slightly dampfened sound, which in my humbe experience can be compensated by a well designed sound chamber (for which TCSS sells the right parts ). Last time when I travelled to Jedi Con 2014, I managed to scare the *********** out of the security check personal at Munich Airport, they wanted to know what kind of weapons I hide in my backpack and to their shock and my amusement, they even found the rigth switch...
    And I tell you, my kids love changing between the colors, I even had to tone down the light intensity to enable them a safe play with it.

As to RGB, actually what I have there is an RGBW, but W is obsolete if you have color mixing capability, even the FoC can be mixed smootly using the 3 base colors. Apart from that, even though I have now 2 fully color mix capable sabers, I always catch myself ending up with: red, blue or green blade...too much of a movie fixation :O ?

Nice Build!

how did you wire up the RGBW? I have a PRIZM 3.5 and it only allowes 3 dies but i hhave a CREE XM-L Color on Star-PCB RGBW .how can i wire up all 4 of them? any suggestions?

Elegant and sleek design... ...looks like it belongs to a noble.
    I like the fact, that you used a crystal, that you harvested yourself. Along with building the saber, that makes you a true Jedi!
    The only thing, that I find a little off are the two thumbscrews as blade retention screws. They seem a little too long, like they are about to fall off. I would probably just dremel them a little shorter, that the base is almost touching the shroud, when screwed in to hold the blade/blade plug.

Hi Plo Koon,
    I also have an RGBW in this build, but I did not wire up the white LED. Reason is, from RGB I can mix out every color I want, including a FoC flash. For sure adding white gives an additional nice effect for some hues, it's not supported by the PC board.

I now just realized that I wrote all of this in my previous post... in my experience people want to have a white for FoC only in combination with those boards which do not support color mixing. So they have a single base color to which they add white. While it's better than nothing, a true color mixing board like the Prizm can do so much more out of the 3 base colors. White is superfluous IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.