Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nano biscotte Alternate Ground Points

Default Nano biscotte Alternate Ground Points

Hello,

Are there additional or alternate ground points on the NB V2? I was hesitant to ground the momentary switch to the Battery - or inline with the negative terminal of the battery.

Thanks,

Joshua

That is the appropriate grounding point for the momentary switch. No harm will come to you, your switch, or the sound board.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Switches have a separate 'signal' ground. Do not connect anything that needs current to the signal ground, nor is it good to connect switch grounds to main power grounds. Two types of grounds on Plecter boards, power and signal. Accent LEDs, PWM controls, switches etc go to signal grounds. Main LEDs, or other high draw things like rumble motors etc should go to power grounds.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

At least on the PC v3 signal and main grounds are shorted, probably as a starpoint, I assume it's the same with the Nano. You are right in saying FenderBender, that there are separate GND's for low current signals, but the only thing which can happen IMHO when you connect swicth terminals to main GND is that the ground shift will make it float up a bit, but I doubt it will be enough to switch off the board...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Long ago, in the before time, I was educated personally by the ERV' to not cross pollinate the two. It's one of the earliest gospels of W.O.E (Word of Erv')

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

I wanna have the W.O.E. !!! Did it survive the bite of time in written form?

To the OP. You can check the docs at PLECTER labs site. I'm sure it has complete wiring diagrams. But the main ground is the recommended ground for the activation switch according to Erv documentation.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    I wanna have the W.O.E. !!! Did it survive the bite of time in written form?

I'm working on scribing the written version. Time, is what is missing

GET LATHED!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFender View Post
    To the OP. You can check the docs at PLECTER labs site. I'm sure it has complete wiring diagrams. But the main ground is the recommended ground for the activation switch according to Erv documentation.
    So we can restart the discussion.

I checked now (out of curiosity for the new Prism) the PC Prism data sheet. It's clearly visible, that all GND's (negatives if you like ) go to the main negative (I call it GND, I'm more confortable with that term). From a pure electronics point of view, I see no reason to separate the 2 ground planes/domains. Plecter products are suberb props electronics, but they are meant for hobby lightsabers and not for space ships with low noise requirements.

I've just finished a PCv3 saber, where I had to optimize the wiring harness, so I really connected all GND's to the main negative, works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    So we can restart the discussion.I checked now (out of curiosity for the new Prism) the PC Prism data sheet. It's clearly visible, that all GND's (negatives if you like ) go to the main negative (I call it GND, I'm more confortable with that term). From a pure electronics point of view, I see no reason to separate the 2 ground planes/domains. Plecter products are suberb props electronics, but they are meant for hobby lightsabers and not for space ships with low noise requirements.I've just finished a PCv3 saber, where I had to optimize the wiring harness, so I really connected all GND's to the main negative, works perfectly.
    The discussion won't go on forever. In certain cases, how (and where) you ground is more important than in other cases. RICE ports are one such case. It's not necessarily applicable to a simple board like a NB - though voltages can be an issue if not restored properly, but on PC's and CF's it *could* come into play a bit more. I think the OP has been answered by now.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com