Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded saber: The Sage V2

Default Upgraded saber: The Sage V2

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, I present...The Sage V2

I had posted pictures of this saber before when it was a stunt saber. I was proud of myself for the shroud I had made but afterward, the rest of the saber felt like I phoned it in. I did little or nothing with the rest of the hilt and it looked plain and undeserving of the shroud I had made. Here is what it originally looked like...

The electronics were a bit of a step forward for me at the time since I was able to make a yellow blade with a tri-rebel and a 700mA buckpuck. A triumph at the time, but I wanted to take it to the next level.

And it is now there.....

All of the coloring on the hilt is done with spray-paint. I painstakingly taped off all of the grooves. For the emitter, I found that Teflon plumbers tape worked well for masking the oddly shaped areas I did not want to paint. I also did some realistic weathering to the paint by rolling it in gravel to chip the paint.

I drilled out some of the holes of the pommel insert to help the sound and eliminate the salt and pepper shaker look to it. It came out with a nice little star pattern.

The electronics were a real challenge. I wanted a yellow blade but had not truly made one (the previous one was kind of cheating). To this I own my thanks to Forgetful Jedi Knight who was gracious enough and patient enough to answer questions for me. The blade color is not quite what I was shooting for, but not a problem either. It has more of an Ahsoka Tano shoto blade color than Sentinel yellow, but I still like it. At least I tried something new (to me) and without the guidance of FJK, I am sure I would have fried the LED. It was a learning experience to make this and that color will be a reminder to me of that. It is made with an RGB Tri Rebel by the way.

(side by side with a green blade)

The saber has a Nano Biscotte sound card and rechargeable battery.

I am pleased with the saber. It was a true labor of love to make this. It will have a nice home in the new Jedi General costume I am working on for Rebel Legion.

Special thanks to FJK for all of your help and patience. I could not have done this without you, I mean that.

Enjoy the pics and tell me what you think.
    Last edited by chicago.jedi; 10-16-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Isn't it amazing what a bit of paint can do for the appearance of a saber?

It's rarely the overall design, it's the DETAILS that change an "ok" saber into a "wow!" saber. Well done!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It's a very nice upgrade - the new color scheme really looks awesome!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Agreed. Your saber diddnt look bad before but it looks great now

I agree. Saber looks great with the added touches of color.

Very nice upgrade, I the extra's do take it from a 'nice' saber to 'stand out' saber.

Very nice. Love the blade color. I say keep it. Very unique. =]
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

That looks awesome. I'm very curious how you got that blade color. I'm new to all of this and I'd love to know how you mixed that color.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kato View Post
    That looks awesome. I'm very curious how you got that blade color. I'm new to all of this and I'd love to know how you mixed that color.
    Sorry for the delayed reply, I have not looked at the forum in a while.

The red and green are in parallel with a 2 ohm resistor on the red and a .47 ohm resistor on the green. Both resistors and the Tri-rebel can be purchased in the store.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck.

so just a quick question. am i correct that to use two of the colors they are just spliced into the board as one? I have ordered a tri rebel(rb/b/w) and want to mix the royal blue and white for a silver blade look, and read on other forums that was the way to go.