Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starwinder's Dark Empire saber - "Chosen Legacy"

Default Starwinder's Dark Empire saber - "Chosen Legacy"

So this may sound a little silly, but this saber was actually based on a toy! More specifically, it was based on the lightsaber hilt included with the Luke Skywalker action figure in the Dark Empire comic two-pack (paired with the clone Emperor).

I couldn't take a clear picture of the darned tiny thing, so here are some other images of the hilt that I pulled from the web.

Pics not mine.

Now i know action figures and their accessories are not known for accuracy, but as you can see, the lightsaber Luke is using looks nothing like his ROTJ saber (or even the one in the Dark Empire comic series for that matter). In my opinion it looks like a cross between a Qui-Gon Jinn saber and an Imperial Knight saber. But something about the look has always intrigued me. And ever since I got into this hobby, I've wanted to build a similar-looking saber.

Well it took me almost 2 years to get to that point, but here she is! The idea was to keep the basic look of the toy, but add in a few elements that would make it look a little more "Luke." I was also imagining how Luke would have built his saber if he had based it off of Obi's TPM design instead of his ANH one. So it came out very sleek and streamlined. I definitely have to give full credit to Tim for his work on getting the overlay just how I wanted, as well as for the grooves on the blade holder, which also happens to be the last of the older style BH15's (no longer sold). This being - in my mind - an alternate reality Luke saber of sorts, I chose the name as a tribute to the Skywalker lineage and the roles they play as chosen instruments of the Force.
    So without further ado, here are the specs and glams...

SPECS

- All MHS parts
    - custom MHS sleeve overlay
    - PC2.0 appropriately running Madcow's awesome "Hero" font with "Bespin II" boot.
    - 7.4v Li-ion 800mAh 14500 rechargeable battery pack
    - 2.1mm recharge port in pommel
    - short black momentary green ring AV switch (ironically i searched the entire world wide web to find one of these and now
    they're offered in the store!) - LED set to come on with the blade
    - aux red momentary switch
    - Rebel Star Green LED
    - 2w 20mm mini speaker
    - ARKM turbine blade plug
    - 12 in. long

GLAMS

P.S. sorry about the pic quality; my camera seems to be on its last leg...

Thanks for indulging me
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Gorgeous. I absolutely love how clean the shroud is.

Seconded.The design is familiar but unique, a fitting design in the star wars mythos.

Now let's get a video.

Thanks guys! I may attempt a video if I can get my camera to hold out for it - you know it's not good when you have to give it a good whack to get it to work...

I disagree. I've found the corporal punishment is a great way to keep electronics in line. Kick an old computer once, it'll work every time

Lol Yoshi, you must have the technique down - I usually just end up breaking it completely (although even that is somewhat satisfying).

It's more of an art than a science. Takes a lot of practice. Like buttering toast or driving a car off a bridge.

Nice saber. I really like it.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Excellent design and execution...congrats and BRAVO!

Thanks fellas! I'm happy with how it turned out!