Thread: JST Connectors

Default JST Connectors

Hello, I am planning on building a custom saber and currently trying to decide how to make my electronics completely modular so that I can change parts out if needed. I know I can use JST connectors on things such as the speakers and the battery and main led, but things like switches and flash on clash wiring usually only utilizes one wire at a time. So my question is: could I use part of a JST connector and ignore and snip off the other wire I don't need, like a positive or a negative?

You absolutely can do that if you wish, however it will eat up space in your hilt so bear that in mind. There are other connector types (small Molex for example) you can also use. I tend to use 6-way Molex and group my connections on those, similar to the NB wiring harness (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/NB...ness-P961.aspx).

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRevanIsImmortal View Post
    but things like switches and flash on clash wiring usually only utilizes one wire at a time.
    This is wrong. You always need at least 2 wires for a circuit. FoC doesn't just "usually only utilize one wire at a time".
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I wire all of my sabers on micro-JSTs so I can take them apart easily if something breaks. It is so much better than hard-wiring everything. Pretty much everything you're going to be wiring is going to have at least two wires. You might have a common positive here and there but you'd want to bridge them together and then use one of the wires on the JST for the bridge and one for the other wire. It would help if you let us know which board you're using, what components it will have (accent LEDs, switches, recharge port, main LED, etc) and we can talk about how best to utilize JSTs. I wish TCSS carried more variety as there are 3 way, 4 way, 5 way, 6 way, etc. combos of micro JSTs out there.