Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Wire Gauge matter?

Default Does Wire Gauge matter?

I've been looking into wires, and frankly, I don't know the differences between the gauges. Bigger gauge= more current? That's what i've thought. I'm thinking of going with 26 gauge.

Heavier gauge will carry more current however the length of wire is so short it kinda negates that fact. You do want a multistranded wire though for a better solder joint on your sound board. I think i used 28 gauge on the last two sabers. Wires can end up taking alot of space depending on what you are doing.
    Last edited by snilam; 10-10-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Hello friend, I wired up my CF 6 using 28 gauge wire in the end. Also, just an aside, the larger the measurement (24, 26, 28 gauge) the thinner the wire. I had used thicker wire to begin with but, even though my saber had no extra leds, I could not fit everything. The amount of extra wire I needed, to allow for screwing together the MHS pieces, meant the thinner gauge was a godsend. It also allowed the wires to be woven? together more easily. Just my opinion of course.

Where do y'all go to get your wire? I've been to several hardware stores and electronic stores and I'm not having any luck in finding the 28 gauge wire...-Viper

At TCCS in the wire section, I believe I saw 22,24, and 26. Not 28 though.
    Last edited by DarthRevanIsImmortal; 10-11-2014 at 01:56 PM.

26 gauge would work fine. It's mainly what I use for my builds.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Copy that! Thank you!-Viper

I always use 28AWG or 30AWG. 26 is useful but can lead to a wiring mess. I would never touch anything bigger. 32AWG and up would probably be too small and prone to breakage. I find 28 or 30 to hit the sweet spot

I'm not sure what gauge they are offhand but if you are having problems finding thin wire you can try using an old hard drive ribbon cable or CAT5/5 Ethernet. I know you can buy CAT5/6 (whatever) at the big box stores

For my most recent build, I used 26 AWG. I looked for 28 AWG at the place I usually go for electronics stuff, but 26 was the thinnest they had. Depending on what you're doing, 28 may give you that extra bit of needed room you're looking for, or help you thread wire through some tight spots.