Thread: Unwanted parts?

Default Unwanted parts?

Hello everyone...REAL big noob here.

I'm jumping in feet first, building two sabers, one for me, and one for my son. I'm finding that a few parts I ordered - while amazing - are becoming unnecessary due to small design changes. What do you guys do with parts that are extra? Do you just keep them for another build?

Just curious...

-D in NJ

I would definitely save them. I'm new too, but I've been thoroughly warned that your first saber(s) won't be your last. The first of many in most cases. I've already found this to be true, planning future sabers before this one is even done

If you put them in a box and don't use them within a year, then maybe you're immune. If so, you could probably eBay them quite easily. I don't know of this is done here or not, but posting parts for private sale/trade happens on some crafting forums, and works out pretty well.

No sales allowed on these forums. I'd definitely hold on to them for a bit, as it's really hard to stop building once you've begun.

You can sell on other forums. FX-Sabers is a good choice, but you need to meet their requirements before you're allowed to sell over there. Ebay is always a fine choice as well.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Like the others said, I'd hold on to them, I'm glad i did for mine, my second MHS saber is well underway using said parts, If you're ever going to sell the parts, hmu on FX... I'm always looking for parts
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar-Gnar Gin View Post
    Like the others said, I'd hold on to them, I'm glad i did for mine, my second MHS saber is well underway using said parts, If you're ever going to sell the parts, hmu on FX... I'm always looking for parts
    He would need to be there 3 months and have 50 posts to sell on FX.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    He would need to be there 3 months and have 50 posts to sell on FX.
    I am aware, none the less, when/if time comes to sell on fx, i'm interested

<---- currently taking all MHS parts donations

Thanks, guys (and gals? Hard to tell on the interwebs, so I can't assume). I think I'll just hang onto them and start a collection of parts because, as you've all pointed out, I'm pretty sure I ain't stopping at one.

I have pretty bad hands (injuries in an accident) so some of the fine motor stuff might be a problem, but I'm going to give it my all.

Be well!

Quote Originally Posted by hazydavy View Post
    Thanks, guys (and gals? Hard to tell on the interwebs, so I can't assume)
    That's why I call everyone dude

Good call btw, you can always sell them at a later date, but can't get them back when you need them on the next build

take it from an old vet who just recently got back into the saber scene. I made the mistake of ditching some old parts I didn't think I would use, big mistake. For sure keep the parts, especially your old JST connectors and otherwise. You never know when something may be needed, such as in my case extra JST connector for a replacement speaker in a saber recently. When you get the building bug (not a matter of if but when, just a matter of how many you build) you'll be glad you kept those extra parts.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.