Thread: Darth Wulf's first blade

Default Darth Wulf's first blade

Work in progress... I read and read and I just keep learning lol. When is the learning complete and the building begin?! I'll start compiling parts here in the hopes that one day I'll be placing an order.

Hilt style 3 w/ standard switch hole
    MPS Pommel style 5 or 10
    MHS Choke style 1 short (between body and pommel)
    (Insert Blade Holder Here) I'm so torn on the blade holder, it isn't even funny. I want something that will be complimented by a shroud down the road. Any suggestions?
    I like the idea of this (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16...itch-P908.aspx) as well. Does it go with a specific type switch hole or will the standard one work?

The rest I'm still trying to pinpoint and figure out. Lemme know if any veteran smiths out there have any suggestions or directions I could go in.

Thanks for looking!

Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your question, it all depends on you, there is lots to learn, and the more you wan to build the more you will need to learn.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your question, it all depends on you, there is lots to learn, and the more you wan to build the more you will need to learn.
    That does indeed answer my question. At the same time, however, it leaves hundreds of questions and paths set before me! I'll keep looking and reading and adding on to this list so when I get close, I can catch a thumbs up from one of the vets. Which by the way would mean the world to me cause the builds I've been looking at around here are downright amazing!

You will be aready to build when you know what your saber will be, and how you assemble it. The typical order of operations is read->Research->read->plan->Read->confirm->read->Order->read->assemble->enjoy.

The learning never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    You will be aready to build when you know what your saber will be, and how you assemble it. The typical order of operations is read->Research->read->plan->Read->confirm->read->Order->read->assemble->enjoy.

The learning never ends.
    I'm teetering between read -> Plan. Where I'm stuck right now is trying to figure what all is necessary in the electronics department. I'm not going with sound at the moment. Light right now. The rest will come later. I'm not trying to overload myself right out of the gate.

With only light and no sound, your options are pretty easy. You'll need a switch (latching switch or get the momentary-to-latching converter), a power source, your LED, and something to regulate the power (resistor, BuckPuck, etc.)

I recommend choosing the LED first. Pick your color, then whether you want a single-die LED, or a Tri-Rebel. From there you can pick out an appropriate power source. After you've decided on LED and power, you can calculate the needed resistor.

As for the switch, go with whatever looks right on your saber design. If it's an illuminated switch, you'll want the DynaOhm or a regular resistor for the internal LED.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I've decided to order bit by bit. I've just placed an order for Hilt style 3 with 16mm recessed hole, 16mm AV red ring momentary switch, and 7 black o-rings. Next order will include pommel, blade holder and choke. 3rd order will include LED, electronics and power source. 4th order will include what is left. Vanity items and other bits to refine the design. I like the idea of doing things this way so I can #1 budget this build and #2 see it come together slowly but surely and adjust as necessary.

Would it be appropriate to update this thread as a build thread or should I make one of those when the parts start flowing in?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    With only light and no sound, your options are pretty easy. You'll need a switch (latching switch or get the momentary-to-latching converter), a power source, your LED, and something to regulate the power (resistor, BuckPuck, etc.)

I recommend choosing the LED first. Pick your color, then whether you want a single-die LED, or a Tri-Rebel. From there you can pick out an appropriate power source. After you've decided on LED and power, you can calculate the needed resistor.

As for the switch, go with whatever looks right on your saber design. If it's an illuminated switch, you'll want the DynaOhm or a regular resistor for the internal LED.
    Thanks for this reply by the way. It helps sort things out a bit cause the options are ,quite frankly, overwhelming lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Wulf View Post
    Would it be appropriate to update this thread as a build thread or should I make one of those when the parts start flowing in?
    Either is fine, but a new build thread is preferred.

I personally wait and buy all my parts at once, to save on shipping costs. I find there's usually a second order anyway, to account for assorted items I forgot in the first order.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Either is fine, but a new build thread is preferred.

I personally wait and buy all my parts at once, to save on shipping costs. I find there's usually a second order anyway, to account for assorted items I forgot in the first order.
    I'll do a build thread when the time comes.

I'm definitely with you on saving on shipping costs. I'm on a budget though, so I buy a little at a time so I don't break the bank. Not to mention, it keeps the wife on the good side of my new hobby.