Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Extender Issues

Default Color Extender Issues

Hi all,

I've wired up my PCv3 with CeX for testing to make sure everything works before I try to wire it in a chassiable way. I've used the diagram I made and verified here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Ex-and-R-I-C-E

The only issue I'm having seems to be with the color extender. I have the banks set up so that bank 1 is only blue, bank 2 is only green, and bank 3 is only red. There are only issues when I'm in bank 2 and 3. I've tried each LED on channel 1 using bank 1 to confirm the LEDs work, but it seems that channels 2 & 3 are sporadic at best. Sometimes the LED is on, sometimes it's not. Some times another LED is on too. Not sure what's going on, but I have also verified that the control signal is being sent to each channel on the CeX when it should, so the problem is either with my wiring or with the board itself, it would seem. Anybody see anything wrong here?

The picture of the CeX in the store doesn't have to two cylinders sitting staggered like they are on my board. Could that cause issues?

I would need to see good close up pictures of where you have it connected on the PC
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I checked these signals by using a voltmeter on the negative of the board and the control pads on the color extender to ensure they were being given a voltage when that channel was being used and not when it wasn't. This checked out, which led me to believe there was a short somewhere in Color Extender.

Well, I'm not a huge fan of the way you did the connection to Channel #3. But it doesn't look like an issue. I'll mention this to Zook and see what he thinks, since if there is an issue, you would have to send it to him to repair it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thanks for looking at it. What don't you like about the channel 3 connection?

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    Thanks for looking at it. What don't you like about the channel 3 connection?
    The wire(s) look exposed all the way to the quick disconnect.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Do you mean on the color extender? I just soldered the plug to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    Do you mean on the color extender? I just soldered the plug to the board.
    Yes, that's what I was talking about
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

It seems to be an issue with channel 2 on the color extender. Bank 2 should have channel 2 on only, but nothing is on, and a signal is still reaching the "1" pad on the color extender. Bank 3 should have channel 3 only, but also has the channel 2 led on, even though no signal is being sent to the "1" pad. I've re-soldered both channel 2 on the color extender, and the color extender remote control wires to the PC.

Well, I sent Zook a message, so you'll need to wait to see what he says.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines