Thread: Choosing your voltage!!why 3.7v or 7.4v??

Default Choosing your voltage!!why 3.7v or 7.4v??

It seems when you build your own saber, you have a choice between 3.7v single battery or a 7.4v dual battery, but the question I have is if a 3.7 li-on battery can be used to power a sword why would you use 7.4v?? I have not found a proper explanation in the forum to this question...As I am new to this if anyone can explain in detail why or why not choose 7.4v over 3.7v design or if you know where I can get the answer...please let me know

Welcome to the Forums.

To briefly answer your question, until recently, you always needed 7.4V packs to power your sabers, because that's what it took to power soundboards like a Crystal Focus and later the Petit Crouton. More recently, an entry level soundboard (the NB) was developed and designed to only be powered by a 3.7V battery. The Petit Croutons could be hacked to run off of a 3.7V battery, but those who choose to do it sacrifice some sound volume in the process.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Which one you you choose may also depend on your intended use for the saber...a 3.7v battery pack will generally have a longer runtime between charges than a typical 7.4v pack, usually due to the size of the cells that will fit inside an MHS or most other makes of sabers. A single 3.7v 18650 will have up to 3x the runtime than a 7.4v 14500 or 14650 7.4v pack.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.